1965 TR4A progress and restoration

8 hours ago, Geko said:

I think you ought to explain why chroming the tip of the steering column. Took me some scroll up to understand :D

Just for fun on that bit.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

TBH it looks like a pretty good basis to start with, the dent your on about in the arch is supposed to be there and you are missing the wing beadings on top of front and rear wings. The dash you have

Jase, I know these are strange times but I also live in Bridgend and have a 1962 TR4 and would normally offer you the opportunity to come and use as a reference or just a chat. Have you cont

Having spent quite a lot of time going through the car I decided to do an essential run today and drive it for the first time and pick up some petrol, just a few shots back on the drive and my essenti

Posted Images

14 hours ago, Jase said:

Thank you TRGB for the correct plug leads. 

BC20B09F-7E44-4AA2-9394-D15EBBA58ED7.jpeg

Yikes! "Reaches for sunglasses!" :ph34r: Theyre bright.

Stuart.

My dashboard coating is in poor condition, cracking off but the veneer is in good condition underneath except for a small part by the driver’s vent. Can anyone advise on the veneer that is used on these dashboards? I think I could slice a piece in there and re-coat the dashboard of f I can remove it without damaging the veneer.

3AF2C8E7-EF70-4D8C-859E-E12DABADD9D8.jpeg

CF4DE129-E507-49C1-B101-4A1CC03E4E90.jpeg

1 hour ago, Jase said:

My dashboard coating is in poor condition, cracking off but the veneer is in good condition underneath except for a small part by the driver’s vent. Can anyone advise on the veneer that is used on these dashboards? I think I could slice a piece in there and re-coat the dashboard of f I can remove it without damaging the veneer.

3AF2C8E7-EF70-4D8C-859E-E12DABADD9D8.jpeg

CF4DE129-E507-49C1-B101-4A1CC03E4E90.jpeg

Jason - it's American Walnut, but often mistakenly called Teak which it isn't.

I think the issue you will have more so than replacing the missing bits of veneer is the discolouration that has occurred between those areas where the lacquer has peeled off and the adjacent areas where it hasn't  - I fear you could put in a lot time and effort and end up disappointed - don't get me wrong, there have been a number of examples of other forumites doing this and ending up with superb results, but I suspect we don't hear about the less successful attempts.

Also the thin ends around the air vents often warp and they are not easy to flatten so they stay flat.

If you decide to bin your idea and go for a new one, there are some very nice non standard veneers you can choose from and have matching door cappings as well, if that takes your fancy - I can probably help if you want to go down that route.

Cheers Rich

Thanks Rich, appreciate the detailed answer, good points about the discolouration. Will need to explore.

Happier with my wheel and stalk make over now. Just need more sun.

30C74372-B7EB-4169-8219-8871C43A9D22.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Jase said:

Thanks Rich, appreciate the detailed answer, good points about the discolouration. Will need to explore.

Happier with my wheel and stalk make over now. Just need more sun.

30C74372-B7EB-4169-8219-8871C43A9D22.jpeg

I have used these guys to restore a dash very similar condition to yours, with cracking and water damage at each end and they did a superb job and restored a woodrim steering wheel so they both matched, not cheap but absolutely the best job Ive ever seen. http://www.silvercrest-woodtrim.co.uk/

Stuart.

Hi Jase - I am so enjoying reading through your journey with your ‘green goddess’ can’t remember if you have named her yet :)     As you say this forum is great.

I refurbed my dash a couple of years ago now, always keen to keep everything original as far as possible.  I discovered a great little furniture refurb business in  Moulsham Mill, Chelmsford. He also offers training places to people recovering from mental health problems to get them back on their feet.   He was very reasonable and I was very happy with the results.   Long way from your home though but perhaps it’s a route to consider.

I was feeling a bit low as my engineer found yet another ‘hole’ in ‘Betty’ but I’m inspired again with your enthusiasm

Christine

1 hour ago, aleda said:

Hi Jase - I am so enjoying reading through your journey with your ‘green goddess’ can’t remember if you have named her yet :)     As you say this forum is great.

I refurbed my dash a couple of years ago now, always keen to keep everything original as far as possible.  I discovered a great little furniture refurb business in  Moulsham Mill, Chelmsford. He also offers training places to people recovering from mental health problems to get them back on their feet.   He was very reasonable and I was very happy with the results.   Long way from your home though but perhaps it’s a route to consider.

I was feeling a bit low as my engineer found yet another ‘hole’ in ‘Betty’ but I’m inspired again with your enthusiasm

Christine

Thanks Christine, yes we have a name which we have inherited from the PO who owned the car for 35 years - Mabel.

The help and guidance on this forum is amazing, always wanted a TR and this car is just right for me, I can tinker and improve and still use her. She maybe a little battered but everyone stops to talk to you (even now) and it's great fun.

I just plan out my time and jobs now, I have quite a few holes that need addressing but most are cosmetic. Hope all goes well with Betty, summer is almost here.

My seatbelt issue, looks like the holes were drilled in the wrong place. I will eventually weld this up and attach proper reinforcement plates top and bottom for the belts. Love a bodge :) 

29F79284-A04C-4225-8E0E-988636AEE99B.jpeg

Edited by Jase
56 minutes ago, Geko said:

these holes are original and also used as lifting point for the body

So why is my frame catching the plastic section of the seatbelt?

Because there was no 3 points seat belts at the time, only lap seat belts, if any at all. The hole used for seat belt anchor is an afterthought 

3 hours ago, Geko said:

Because there was no 3 points seat belts at the time, only lap seat belts, if any at all. 

In 1965? Are you sure of that?

I've had a number of 1965 cars that have had 3-point belts from new.

Pete

3-point seat belts yes, but not inertia reel perhaps ?   And if so., a fixed seat belt mount on top of the wheelarch would have been lower profile than that of a rotating buckle.

17 hours ago, Geko said:

Because there was no 3 points seat belts at the time, only lap seat belts, if any at all. The hole used for seat belt anchor is an afterthought 

They were fitted by 1965 anyway to UK cars, 2 point belts werent legal in this country, the TR4 seat belt mounts were used for lifting but they were in a different place.

Stuart.