1965 TR4A progress and restoration

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

TBH it looks like a pretty good basis to start with, the dent your on about in the arch is supposed to be there and you are missing the wing beadings on top of front and rear wings. The dash you have

Jase, I know these are strange times but I also live in Bridgend and have a 1962 TR4 and would normally offer you the opportunity to come and use as a reference or just a chat. Have you cont

Having spent quite a lot of time going through the car I decided to do an essential run today and drive it for the first time and pick up some petrol, just a few shots back on the drive and my essenti

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Jase said:

Now this is a much better fit, just need to move the other car out of the garage and fit this.

Surely you want to do it in the sunshine to soften the vinyl, clip it in place and leave it stretching for a day ?

22 hours ago, Jase said:

Hope you all like the patina - 40 years of use :) 

Only 40 years ?    I've seen and much admired patina  ..and I've seen cars so beautifully restored that they have absolutely no patina and the owner is too frightened to use it to go to a supermarket or even to leave it unguarded for ten minutes in a show of classic cars.  All in all - yours could be tidied and refastened ..then it ain't so bad ..for an Englishman born in Germany :D  

13 minutes ago, Bfg said:

Only 40 years ?    I've seen and much admired patina  ..and I've seen cars so beautifully restored that they have absolutely no patina and the owner is too frightened to use it to go to a supermarket or even to leave it unguarded for ten minutes in a show of classic cars.  All in all - yours could be tidied and refastened ..then it ain't so bad ..for an Englishman born in Germany :D  

Well I did clean it up today and popped some back to black on it :) My plan is to start picking up the interior at shows over the next few months (hopefully). I'm going for a full colour change on the car so fitting the interior needs to wait until I've finished. Still quite cold here in Wales so I've ordered a fan heater and will put that inside the car along with a heat gun and that should do it - I hope.

Quite pleased with the TR6 soft top. Just ordered some black plastic poppers for the back of the hood and seals for the windscreen to windows and it’s all done. Very impressed with Don’s hoods.

A4063F4C-F719-4A6A-AD9A-CCBD08E974EF.jpeg

Edited by Jase

Well done, not critics but allow me to tell you:

from the distance your window seems to be to high up to me.

And the aluminum cover on top of your window frame is from a TR4.

You own "a all models" hood hybrid :ph34r:

12 hours ago, Z320 said:

Well done, not critics but allow me to tell you:

from the distance your window seems to be to high up to me.

And the aluminum cover on top of your window frame is from a TR4.

You own "a all models" hood hybrid :ph34r:

I think I need to adjust the window slightly, seemed to be fine with the 4A hood but that should be an easy fix. The aluminium strip is a TR5 strip, the screen is from a 5 and the slots are in the correct place for a Tr5/6 soft top.

Thanks for your thoughts though.

12 hours ago, Jase said:

I think I need to adjust the window slightly, seemed to be fine with the 4A hood but that should be an easy fix. The aluminium strip is a TR5 strip, the screen is from a 5 and the slots are in the correct place for a Tr5/6 soft top.

Thanks for your thoughts though.

As I mentioned previously the ally capping is actually from a Surrey topped car hence why it protrudes forward slightly from the screen frame and why you had to adjust the catches to get it to pull down correctly.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart, missed that, probably assumed that the capping was the same on TR5 and 6 frames, is it different for a soft top? Guessing this will be okay when I eventually fit a surrey?

12 minutes ago, trchris said:

Hi Jase

noticed no fan are you running an electric? if so why not get rid of the fan extension?

Chris

Hi Chris, yes I have an electric fan. Can I just unbolt this part? That would make life very easy. I thought it was needed as a 'harmoniser', think that is correct?

Thanks, will check. Probably like everything else on the car it could do with being renewed. Just waiting for a car lift and I'll make a start on all of these more challenging jobs.

Well, spot on with the engine mounts, onejust popped so ordered a new set, changing all of the hoses at the moment and a new peyrol pipe kit on the way to battle the old ethanol.

DC0AC147-29A2-48F2-A82E-7202647AAB76.jpeg

9097556B-BE27-42F0-BAD9-FFD4C7B2BB9B.jpeg

26 minutes ago, Jase said:

Fitting a spare fan belt at the same time. Also going to overhaul the petrol pump just to make sure everything is tip top.

D0B49476-3012-4973-91A7-F4E076D0E6B2.jpeg

Wheres your oil pressure gauge pipe? That brake pipe join down by the chassis looks very suspect too.

Stuart.

Stuart.

Well spotted Stuart, looks like the pipe coming from the master cylinder was too short so they made up a joining piece. On the to do list :) 

Edited by Jase