Led flasher unit on TR4

My bulbs and a flasher unit arrived today from Classic Car leds.
My existing flasher unit has 3 terminals one appears to be earth (black), one is connected to 3 green wires and one to a green/black wire. 

The new led flasher says:

X = Live in (49)

L = To switch (49a)

P = Dash warning (option)

Black fly lead = earth

Incorrect connection will damage the relay. Suppressed ignition recommended. 

Obviously I am anxious not to damage the new flasher but I do want the dash warning lamp to function as I probably won’t be able to hear it as it is down by the throttle pedal. Can anyone advise as to how I should proceed. 

Those are not the colours shown on the wiring diagram. There should not be an earth connection to the flasher unit.

Perhaps your car has been re-wired at some time with odd colours ?

If your flasher unit is the circular aluminium can type, the three terminals viewed in a semicircle with the middle one at the bottom are

left - L (switch),    centre P -(dash lamp) ,    right- X (power).    Just note the present wire positions and use the same on the new unit. 

Edited by RobH

It is a squarish block (see photo). I am assuming that the black wire is an earth but as it disappears behind the pedal, I can't be sure. I remove it and check whether or not there are letters on the block but I worry that I will lose the original positions as it is so awkward to get at. I have to lie upside down which causes issues with my varifocals. It is difficult to see if there are any stripes on the wires.

I would have expected Green/White for the o/s and Green/Red for the n/s - That is the colours I have at the lamps and also on the wiring diagram though I think it should be a Green/Brown wire from the flasher unit to the direction indicator switch initially.

Andy

fullsizeoutput_4874.jpeg

Edited by Ocheye

Are you sure that isn't the voltage regulator rather than the flasher unit?  It looks like it to me and the wire colours are right for that.

Edited by RobH

That would make sense wiring codewise. Should it be there by the throttle? I must seem like a total idiot.

If it is the voltage stabiliser, where would the flasher unit be situated normally?

I really am hopeless at seeing under the dashboard -upside down. I should get a pair of Dennis Taylor specs.

Thanks

Andy

Ah. That explains it. I will have to move the car if it is on the passenger side. I just assumed that it would be near to the indicator switch. I have very limited space to work on it so I took a calculated gamble that it would be on the driver's side. I should have known better. Thanks guys

Andy

3 hours ago, RobH said:

If your flasher unit is the circular aluminium can type, the three terminals viewed in a semicircle with the middle one at the bottom are

left - L (switch),    centre P -(dash lamp) ,    right- X (power).    Just note the present wire positions and use the same on the new unit. 

The new LED compatible unit also requires an earth.

Bob.

34 minutes ago, ianc said:

A pair of cheap reading glasses might help when working upside down and at very close quarters.

Ian Cornish

fully-agree... I have loads of Pound-shop specials floating round the garage!

12 minutes ago, AndyR100 said:

fully-agree... I have loads of Pound-shop specials floating round the garage!

I'll have to borrow my GFs' reading glasses as we're self isolating so can't visit any shops. Boo hoo

Andy

Although I have been wearing specs ever since I emerged from the warmth of my Mother I consider that I am extremely lucky. I am one of the few at our age (70+) who has to take his glasses off to read or work on the TR at close quarters!!

But as to seeing far off without them - that’s something else

james

Also I hope that voltage regulator is actually mounted on something as it looks like its just floating by the throttle pedal.

Stuart.

i'd assumed it had been unscrewed from a more perm fixing to check connection, probably not great flapping around by the throttle linkage  :)  

i thought it was one of the electronic stabilisers rather than a regulator.

...... Andy

1 hour ago, Ocheye said:

I'll have to borrow my GFs' reading glasses as we're self isolating so can't visit any shops. Boo hoo

Andy

just don't mention that they may get dirty :)

....... Andy

The good news is that I have fitted the led flasher unit (on the passenger side bulkhead) and it is working well.

The same can't be said for the instrument lights.

I have discovered why the 4 small dials were poorly illuminated - They are later TR4 instruments without internal 'windows' and they have tube type fittings for the bulbs. The existing bulbs (there are only two) are mounted in the dash and designed to illuminate all 4 gauges.

It would appear that I have two options:

1. Swap my perfectly good instruments for a set of early TR4 ones (convex glass)

2. Find 4 bulb holders to slide into the tubes on my existing gauges. These must accept the screw-in led bulbs that I have bought. I'm struggling to find a source that has these in stock. Any suggestions?

Finally, my apologies for being a complete plonker with regard to the location of the flasher unit!

Keep safe

Andy

10 minutes ago, Ocheye said:

The good news is that I have fitted the led flasher unit (on the passenger side bulkhead) and it is working well.

The same can't be said for the instrument lights.

I have discovered why the 4 small dials were poorly illuminated - They are later TR4 instruments without internal 'windows' and they have tube type fittings for the bulbs. The existing bulbs (there are only two) are mounted in the dash and designed to illuminate all 4 gauges.

It would appear that I have two options:

1. Swap my perfectly good instruments for a set of early TR4 ones (convex glass)

2. Find 4 bulb holders to slide into the tubes on my existing gauges. These must accept the screw-in led bulbs that I have bought. I'm struggling to find a source that has these in stock. Any suggestions?

Finally, my apologies for being a complete plonker with regard to the location of the flasher unit!

Keep safe

Andy

These would do https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/456/category/81

Stuart.

33 minutes ago, stuart said:

Thanks Stuart. Unfortunately these are a different fitting.

I've spoken to Duncan at Classic car leds and he will take my bulbs back and replace with BA9s with holders as apparently the ones for the screw-in bulbs aren't suitable as they keep falling out!

He's been very helpful so I'll go along with his recommendations

Andy

1 hour ago, Lebro said:

The "BA" part of BA7 means bayonet fitting. Screw fittings start with "ES".

Bob

Yes. He's changing the type of fitting from ES to BA to fit into the 'tubes' on my instruments as he reckons repro bulb holders (that take the ES bulbs that he sent me) for my instruments are not up to scratch and tend to come adrift. My car should really have four domed small gauges which would have been lit by two bulbs attached to the dashboard (see second pic).

Stay safe

Andy

WO0IRvb0T8SJs7sEOpuybg_thumb_b16d.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_b171.jpg

Andy, I also struggled trying to find new screw thread  bulb holders (even NOS) as mine on the 4A essentially had their  internals falling apart. After several months searching I broke down and purchased new bayonet style holders and matching LED bulbs from Duncan - all good now.

#.url746226322_GaugeLEDterminalconnection.JPG.4fe51fba682ed5bd4982d17b30c08747.JPGIMG_4643.JPG.eb1c502b32c03930c36f6953c06d0a7a.JPG

Cheers,

Alf