European Front Blinkers Needed - Cash offered :-)

Dear TR6 comrades

Not having 300 quid spare and preferring to re-cycle, does anyone have a front set of side indicator lamps, lazing in a garage not doing much?  The ones I need are the ones with the clear and orange lenses in them.

Reason is in Scandinavia I'd like to have the side running lights on permanently when day time driving and presently I have the full US orange ones.

Thanks

Rich

Doh, read it all now

Edited by iani

Rich

When I was living in Holland orange side/parting lights were not permitted so I disabled the side lights and as I had also to change the headlights to dip to the opposite side I bought lamps with an integral side light, I fitted LED bulbs and wired them to come on with the ignition. If you can't find European side lights this may be an option (I may even still have the LHD headlights in the loft of the garage if you need them)

George 

Edited by harlequin

+1 on moving the sidelamps to the headlamps.........it is something we have been doing on sidescreen cars for years as the front indicator is originally white indicator with white side/parking lamp incorporated.  Modern road users fail to understand that a flashing white lamp is an indicator - so for safety sake we fit an amber lens to the lamp and move the parking/sidelamp to the headlamp.  You are doing similar - keep the amber flasher but move the side/parking lamp to the headlamp assy.

You can also try this relay to reduce brightness once the headlamps come on - Quality LED bulbs are a great way to go.

https://www.tomtop.com/p-k1467.html

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Rich,

For a bit of work you can just use the amber/clear lenses with the existing housing,  There is a slot in the lens for which you can fashion a divider between the white and amber out of aly or plastic. Then obtain a couple of bayonet bulb holders suitable for insertion into a drilled hole in the rear of the white light.

+2 on fitting headlamps with integral sidelights. I had to do this on my ex-US TR6 in order to pass the UK MOT. Was a lot cheaper and easier than replacing the indicator units (which is tricky, as you are finding out), plus I also didn't want to make my car look like something it isn't. Ex-US car, so all orange indicators it is!

Matt

IMG_2286.jpg

On 4/23/2020 at 6:11 AM, Will said:

Rich,

For a bit of work you can just use the amber/clear lenses with the existing housing,  There is a slot in the lens for which you can fashion a divider between the white and amber out of aly or plastic. Then obtain a couple of bayonet bulb holders suitable for insertion into a drilled hole in the rear of the white light.

That sounds like a very clever idea!!!

40 minutes ago, AarhusTr6 said:

That sounds like a very clever idea!!!

So if you want the UK spec lenses to go with Im sure I have a couple.

Stuart.

Hi

For info found some on flea bay complete with cracks and all and they went out for about £140!!!  Think I look at the idea of changing my inners.   Did someone say they would flog me their old lenses?!?

Richard

1 hour ago, AarhusTr6 said:

Hi

For info found some on flea bay complete with cracks and all and they went out for about £140!!!  Think I look at the idea of changing my inners.   Did someone say they would flog me their old lenses?!?

Richard

How many bulbs are there in the lamp unit you have?   I'd guess one.  So the split lens will not give a satisfactory light output, it being white one end and amber the other when the bulb is lit.

Nice scientific challenge though getting the light to split from one source

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
3 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

How many bulbs are there in the lamp unit you have?   I'd guess one.  So the split lens will not give a satisfactory light output, it being white one end and amber the other when the bulb is lit.

Nice scientific challenge though getting the light to split from one source

Peter W

Hi Peter

One bulb only so the new bulb will need a wall or shield of sorts I guess.  I read of a few people who did it but they kept the secrets of how to themselves !!

Rich

6 minutes ago, AarhusTr6 said:

Hi Peter

One bulb only so the new bulb will need a wall or shield of sorts I guess.  I read of a few people who did it but they kept the secrets of how to themselves !!

Rich

6 minutes ago, AarhusTr6 said:

Hi Peter

Rich

As Willl stated above you will need to add a bulb holder inside the lamp for the side lamp and shield its light output to the white lens only. Very 'do able'.  

Cheers

Peter W

I have a US TR6 and before first MOT I rewired the US sidelights to new headlights with integral sidelights, I would call them “parking lights”, not sure if these were intended for daytime running? I think I paid £20 something for these. I would just use full headlights in the day anyway.

One of the orange indicators were cracked but I still used them. This winter I looked for replacement but decided to go for the U.K. type brand new repro, looks better than the plain orange in my opinion. They lack of course the extra bulb but still work fine as indicators so no problem.

BXnPKtp.jpg

Td3SnGk.jpg

Magnus

Edited by TRseks