TRpi Original dashboard wood

Hi Guys,

I tried to do my best to make my car the more as original as possible

I have a question about the dashboard... Was it (cut in line) light walnut? Some people told me on facebook that it was teak but it doesn't seem so

Could you confirm for sure?

I attached an add for TR6  and a bill... It is spécified that it was walnut. What that the same for TR5? (non glance of course but mat warnish)

Take care of you

Luc

Capture d’écran 2020-04-20 à 14.49.40.png

IMG_6759.JPG

IMG_6773.JPG

tr6 bill.jpg

Luc - the original dashes were American Walnut in a satin finish which is nothing like the Burr Walnut which lots of people now have  - what confuses the issue is that these were. and still are (Rimmers), referred to as Teak which is wrong.

Hope this helps

Cheers Rich

Hi Luc,

Your car already looks stunning, it will be absolutely amazing when finished.

21 minutes ago, rcreweread said:

Luc - the original dashes were American Walnut in a satin finish which is nothing like the Burr Walnut which lots of people now have  - what confuses the issue is that these were. and still are (Rimmers), referred to as Teak which is wrong.

Hope this helps

Cheers Rich

Rich is correct of course, the factory dash was American walnut with a satin finish. I admire your quest for originality. Bill Piggot's book 'Original TR4/4A/5/6' is an excellent source of information on originality and it's still available on Amazon, if you don't already have a copy:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Triumph-TR4-4A-Encounters/dp/1901432041/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=original+triumph+tr4%2F4a%2F5%2F6&qid=1587553651&sr=8-1

Nigel

Thank you Nigel

Yes it will be amazing for sure. A mechanic friend helps me and he is THE guy here in France who knows perfectly Triumph injection... has he was 20, he was running with 2 TR5pi and he promises me that that one will be the car to have :-)

I have that book from Bill for all Triumphs, from TR2 to TR8

Kind regards

Luc

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Topic revive, does anyone know the venner used on the dashboards? I like it, not keen on burr walnut, have it in the Spit but prefer the original. Not sure if this is American Walnut either?

Thanks

I'm pretty sure the original dashes are all American Walnut but with various differences in the finish ie gloss or satin - this is also called, incorrectly, by at least one major TR supplier, Teak, which it isn't.

Personally, I find Burr Walnut is often very dark so prefer Burr Elm, which is quite a lot lighter and often has a more intricate swirly grain - if you want something completely different, they can be obtained, so just ask! 

I've also sourced piano black and light oak veneered dashes/door cappings to name but two for other forumites/members

First six photos are light veneers and the seventh photo shows a lighter than usual burr walnut dash above a burr elm one.

Hope this helps

Cheers Rich

86185515_487879518834093_8568521603049062400_n (5).jpg - Resized.jpg

86356459_473641126874123_2397992649240870912_n (4).jpg  - Resized.jpg

40924863-570C-4133-A246-D8CDE18C31B0 (7).jpeg - Resized.jpeg

374179BF-1FBC-47AE-A35D-1F5815415C59 (4).jpeg - Resized.jpeg

IMG_0423 (1).JPG - Resized.JPG

IMG_0424 - Resized.JPG

IMG_1320.JPG - Resized.JPG