Trimming interior

So I’m going to be starting the interior shortly- vinyl and carpet, and have read everything I can find in advance. 

First question I had was:

on the wheel arch covers, do people glue the foam to the vinyl first, then trim the combo to fit?Or glue the foam to wheel arch, followed by the vinyl?

I’m sure both are fine, but I’m interested in what people have found easiest. 

Thanks

mark

Hi Mark, there was a detailed post about that last year, I followed that. Glue foam first, leave 25 mm free from edges.

More good details in that post.

Cheers,

Waldi

I always apply the foam to the arch but leave a gap up the middle to glue the piping to first then you can stretch from that point in wards and out wards, do not glue the material to the foam only up the centre gap where the piping is and then the edges..

Stuart.

As Stuart says, if you are using a piped seam as in the stock trim, leaving a gap in the foam where the seam lands will help keep the back of the seam from telegraphing through.  With a flat seam, its probably not as necessary.

Ed

IMG_5286a.JPG

41 minutes ago, ed_h said:

As Stuart says, if you are using a piped seam as in the stock trim, leaving a gap in the foam where the seam lands will help keep the back of the seam from telegraphing through.  With a flat seam, its probably not as necessary.

Ed

IMG_5286a.JPG

Yes, most of the commercial kits have a very thick 4 layer sandwich where the piping runs so the gap in the foam is imperative, It also gives you a good start to get the seam straight.

Stuart.

1 hour ago, stuart said:

Yes, most of the commercial kits have a very thick 4 layer sandwich where the piping runs so the gap in the foam is imperative, It also gives you a good start to get the seam straight.

Stuart.

Yep

And you must get the line correct, there is a basic measure point but you must consider seat belt mounts and the soft top frame when down.