While I have been under the TR changing the springs, I noticed a drop of oil on the bottom of the diff casing. With the car off the road, now would be a good time to remove the cover and clean it all up. What would be the best gasket compound to use?  I plan to leave out the paper gasket and stick it all back together with the correct sealer. There must be instant gasket available and I have a black gutter sealant in the garage ???

Thanks 

Richard & B.

Check the breather hole on top, it may be blocked. It has a split pin in it.

Edit:- just realised its a 3a, not sure if it does.:blink:

Edited by Kevo_6
2 hours ago, Kevo_6 said:

Check the breather hole on top, it may be blocked. It has a split pin in it.

Edit:- just realised its a 3a, not sure if it does.:blink:

No but there is a breather on the top right side of it which may well be blocked.

Stuart.

The old tin lid may not always have a truly flat surface where it mates with the diff's casting.  The lid may be checked on any decent flat surface such as a sheet of glass, using feeler gauges to detect any problems.  The screw holes are likely problem areas.

A gasket, coated both sides with Wellseal, Hermetite or some other goo, will tend to mask any minor imperfections and guarantee a leakproof seal.

A cast alloy diff cover should have an absolutely flat, machined, surface and hence should never leak.

Ian Cornish

Hi Ian, Thanks for the suggestion. Moss catalogue does not seem to have any alloy diff covers. Where else shall I look. Maybe Cambridge Motorsport or similar ??

I recently received an email with no content from your address. I deleted it straight away.

Thanks Richard & B

14 minutes ago, Richardtr3a said:

Hi Ian, Thanks for the suggestion. Moss catalogue does not seem to have any alloy diff covers. Where else shall I look. Maybe Cambridge Motorsport or similar ??

I recently received an email with no content from your address. I deleted it straight away.

Thanks Richard & B

You asked Richard http://www.racetorations.co.uk/triumph-c56/tr2-c3/tr2-axle-and-differential-c80/racetorations-alloy-finned-differential-cover-tr2-tr4-p3

Stuart.

1 hour ago, Richardtr3a said:

Thanks Richard & B

Richard - I've got a saloon alloy rear casing where the "ears"  have been cut off which is surplus to my requirements- apparently the racing boys use these as a more cost effective solution ( I think Hamish uses one) -  PM if interested and I'll go and dig it out and photo it

Cheers Rich

48 minutes ago, rcreweread said:

Richard - I've got a saloon alloy rear casing where the "ears"  have been cut off which is surplus to my requirements- apparently the racing boys use these as a more cost effective solution ( I think Hamish uses one) -  PM if interested and I'll go and dig it out and photo it

Cheers Rich

It was easier to find than I thought so here are a few photos to show better what I was trying to describe! I've got some more of these I could do this to if necessary

Cheers Rich

IMG_3215 - Resized.JPG

IMG_3216 - Resized.JPG

IMG_3217 - Resized.JPG

IMG_3218 - Resized.JPG

4 hours ago, rcreweread said:

Cheers Rich

Indeed I do have one fitted. 
(yes I know the handbrake connecting cable is close)

it was a Peter Cox and Son modification when he fitted an LSD. 

E7467384-B864-46BF-A456-8B82EF3576E4.jpeg

10B2D277-B28E-4C48-93DC-89CCF275446E.jpeg

I have a Racetorations alloy cover which I bought in 1995, and this has fins.  What Darryl failed to mention at the time was that, on a live axle, some of the fins need to be removed in order that, on bump, the cover does not hit the underside of the bodywork!  I found out the hard way and cut the offending fins away, and when I saw Darryl at an IWE a few years later he admitted that the cover would be fine on an IRS car, but did require surgery for live axle.  All this was a long while ago, and I imagine that he modified the design.

I recall that I had to relieve some of the holes slightly to ensure that I could get all the screws inserted - the extra thickness means that no misalignment is tolerated.

This cover increases oil capacity considerably (I think I use a whole litre), which, combined with the cooling afforded by the fins, is a good idea if there's an LSD installed.

Ian Cornish

The car is off the road so the breather hole is probably not a problem and I will use ptfe when the drain plug goes back in.

I do not have a lsd and have never had to overhaul the diff. 62k miles :lol:   It may be coming soon, but until I have a problem I will leave it alone.  The new cover looks like a permanent answer but first I am going to try some sealer. It looks like loctite. Do I need to bother with the actual gasket ? I could do it up tight and leave the final couple of turns on the bolts until the next day.

Thanks 

Richard & B

On 4/21/2020 at 1:10 PM, Richard71 said:

I can recommend Loctite SI 5980, superb as a gasket sealant.

Richard.

I was planning to go this route and checked out Loctite on ebay. This special one seems to come from Germany and with postage the cost is nearly £50.00. So I have checked out my own garage and there is a tube of Wellseal in there. It looks like sunshine tomorrow so I will try it out. No rear springs means that the car is not moving so it looks like a lying down on the greasy garage floor for me. Happy Sunday

Richard & B.