Can the engine be fitted after the wings and front panel have been fitted. I have a steering rack conversion so will not have the fan or extension, and a narrow belt conversion will be fitted as I intend to run an alternator. I know I will have to fit the gearbox after the engine is in from inside.

Also is the electric fan best fitted as a pusher or puller, ie in front of the rad or engine side.

Cheers, Ralph.

It is just about possible if your careful,

Depending on if you have a TR2 or a 3/3a for fan fitting, TR2 you need to fit behind as the grill is too close otherwise, later cars its your choice.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart. Its a 3a, and I am getting on with all the panel work and painting but the parts for my engine rebuild are lost in the depths of FedEx somewhere. I ordered a load of stuff the day before the lockdown was announced, to be delivered to my friends works, but it was delayed  in despatch for a week and now despite trying unsuccessfully to get it re directed to my home address they continually try to deliver it to a closed business.

I have the radiator all re cored and ready to go, but do not yet have the ducting for inside the front apron. I know if the engine is in you cannot get the radiator out without removing the apron, but I cannot see why this would not go in before the engine is fitted or am I wrong?

Cheers, Ralph.

You could put it in the engine bay but not hard bolt it down and lean it forwards with a sheet of cardboard or ply to protect it, watch the neck though.

Stuart.

Ralph,

While I understand why you don't want to disturb the front apron, it seems to me to be a whole lot easier to put the engine and transmission in with the apron off and and as a unit. I admit that I've never tried it with the apron on and have never been tempted to try it. I'll be interested to hear how you make out.

Tom

I wanted to carry on painting the wings and apron etc, but because I had not got the spares for the engine re-build could not put the motor in first. However, if I can believe my emails it seems that FedEx found someone in at my friends works and managed to finally deliver the package. I will be going down there this morning, and with a bit of luck I will be able to re build the motor, attach the gearbox, and get the whole lot in place before continuing with the painting and fitting of the front end.

I fitted the engine and gearbox before i put the body shell on, and i have to say even that was a PITA, so i would not try it with the apron on.

With regard to the fan, you can only fit a puller and that is between the engine and radiator as the apron sits almost flush with the radiator at the front. Fit the biggest you can find that will fit.

Have fun with the engine rebuild and dont forget to hack out all the crud from around the water jackets! No4 is the one that causes overheating. I replaced the liners and pistons and had the block soda blasted to remove all the rust and clinker. I had almost a full large coffee jar full of rust.

And dont forget to drill out the rust which covers the drain tap/hole at the bottom of NO4!!!!

11 minutes ago, Red 6 said:

With regard to the fan, you can only fit a puller and that is between the engine and radiator as the apron sits almost flush with the radiator at the front. Fit the biggest you can find that will fit.

Not on a 3a you can easily fit one in front of the rad.

Stuart.

10 minutes ago, Red 6 said:

I have recently part restored a 3a and i fitted a large fan to the front of the radiator, and when i test fitted the apron the "shelf" fouled the fan .

The answer will be try it and if it fits it fits, mine did not.

Tom.

Answer is mount the fan on the shelf ;) thats how the Kenlowes were mounted for years.

Stuart.

Ah yes Stuart i see where you are coming from.

I stopped using those L brackets many moons ago and went over to directly fitting the fan to the radiator using the through radiator fixing clips. (always buy a spare set...you will find out why).

Doing it this way you cannot fit a decent size fan to the front, but it fits nicely between the engine and the rad, plus it is easier to get to the wiring.

14 hours ago, Red 6 said:

Ah yes Stuart i see where you are coming from.

I stopped using those L brackets many moons ago and went over to directly fitting the fan to the radiator using the through radiator fixing clips. (always buy a spare set...you will find out why).

Doing it this way you cannot fit a decent size fan to the front, but it fits nicely between the engine and the rad, plus it is easier to get to the wiring.

Yes you can fit them that way though Im not a fan of them  if fitting one behind I prefer to have brackets fitted to the rad frame to hold the fan.

Stuart.