Some more simple questions

Been playing again today :) Changed plugs etc, unfortunately the plug leads are incorrect and the exhaust strap are too short so need to return those. My main concern at the moment is covering bare paintwork on the car and I order Triumph BRG which seems very close to the original conifer green. However the green currently on the car is much darker. I'm sure I had a 78 Spitfire that was close to this colour. Any advice as to what the correct colour could be? Once we are allowed to move around I'll take it to my local paint factors and ask him to match but not sure when that will be. I'm still aiming to put it back to Conifer but that won't be for a while.

IMG_8032.thumb.JPG.85206353f03b0933478bc9948bfb48ce.JPG

I'd also like advice on the polarity of my car. It seems to be running a dynamo but the negative lead is earthed to the bodywork. I thought that was negative earth? This is all new to me as my previous classics only dated as far back as 77. Pictures below for advice:

IMG_8027.thumb.JPG.6d7c1ae141f5f59b4e75e382aa92dbbb.JPGIMG_8030.thumb.JPG.73935574ec617e4dc90f7933723afbd4.JPG

Finally my sun visors reconditioned, look a bit too new for the rest of the car at the moment :).

IMG_8026.JPG.b56aef5922611e435d5eb93ddb0872d9.JPG

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Jason

A dynamo can be made to work with either polarity. The convention changed in the 60s and I believe the TR4 was positive earth but the '4A was negative. 

Yes you can fit an alternator - it's easy to do but you have to decide whether to retain the wide fan-belt which means you need a special alternator pulley (or compromise and use the one from the dynamo), or change everything for a narrow belt which requires the crank and waterpump pulleys to be changed.  

[Assuming of course that a PO hasn't already done that.]

Edited by RobH
4 minutes ago, RobH said:

A dynamo can be made to work with either polarity. The convention changed in the 60s and I believe the TR4 was positive earth but the '4A was negative. 

Yes you can fit an alternator - it's easy to do but you have to decide whether to retain the wide fan-belt which means you need a special alternator pulley (or compromise and use the one from the dynamo), or change everything for a narrow belt which requires the crank and waterpump pulleys to be changed.  

[Assuming of course that a PO hasn't already done that.]

That's brilliant thank you, much clearer now.

Jase, on paint.

My 1964 TR4 is Triumph Conifer Green code 25 and some panels are still original.

I found the Rimmer supplied paint to be very close allowing for age fade and matched the original.

Some paint suppliers gave me paint code 25 but it is Rover and is darker.

It's a minefield, good luck.

RobG