Hardtop sidescreens

Hi gents,

just wondering, can I use the hardtop sliding Perspex sidescreens ( I have hardtop fitted to car and soft top )with a soft top, or would it just be better to fit the original zip side screens only for the soft top. Just not sure how the hard top screens would work well enough with soft top

but 

Hi there, is your name actually 'but'

I have the sliding perspex window sidescreens on my TR3 softtop. They fit and work pefectly.

I'm actually just going in the oppsite direction to you and now fitting a hardtop. I'd wondered if my perspex sidescreens would fit. Sounds like you've just answered my question.

All the best,

JefR

Back in the 1960s, I acquired a TR2 which had been equipped with hardtop and the later, sliding window, sidescreens (also had disc brakes, else I would not have bought it).

Never had any problem using those sidescreens with either hard or soft top, other than the fact that in sub-zero temperatures the sliding window wouldn't slide, so I was unable to get into the car!  The fix was to buy a TR3A door handle, drill a hole and fit it to the driver's door.

Ian Cornish

You are well aware, James, that back then one did what was necessary to be able to use the TR as one's daily driver - and winters were a lot colder then.

Ian Cornish

I have a hardtop on my 3A and have had the side screen frames cut, welded and recovered so that they fit neatly. I now have my hood (soft top) to deal with because there is a gap of 1& 1/2 " on the driver side. You can adjust the brackets but mine have been moved so many times that the wooden structure in the door is in poor shape with too many holes. This summer is a new bespoke hood, depending on cost  and if it is going to rain a lot.

Does any one make quality hoods in Sussex.

Richard & B

You are expecting to be able to get out and use the car this summer then ??.   Lets hope.

Adam - I've known James for decades and we are friends, so I don't mind him calling me "Vandal" as it was in jest.

Just think of all the other things we did to our TRs (and other cars) just to keep them going in the years when we didn't have much money and before there was a TR Register.

Ian Cornish

Where do I start :o 

Aluminium floor pop rivited on top of rotten original, TR3A rear body (complete with also rotten floor) grafted onto my TR3 front. I did use new inner sills.  Glass front wings & apron. Brake servo from scrap Cortiina to improve drum brakes. Holes all over the dash for various extra switches, lamps etc. Engine experiments include water injection, & running off town gas stored in a dustbin liner in the boot.( worked for 110 yards!).

Bob

Edited by Lebro

My TR2 didn't get its ally floor until I lost out on what I thought was a 'promise'

I was taking a gf home on Aberdeenshire slush covered roads after a long night in the pub. I heard a strong yelp when the snow/slush went up her (very flared) trouser leg, killing any ardours and that was that for the evening.

Sorted the floor problem out within the week!

james