Permanent live for stereo

I know it's not a huge problem but,

Every time I switch the ignition off it cuts all power to the stereo this causes the memory to shut down so every time I restart the car the stereo goes back to the start / 1st track

There must be some way to avoid this safely . Any ideas please?

Sorry should have said it's a TR4a

Thankyou David

Edited by david c
Additional information

Take the power feed for the stereo via an in-line fuse from the 'A' terminal on the dynamo voltage regulator David. 

There might be a complication though.

Most modern stereos have both switched and unswitched input leads to overcome just this problem.  If there are both red and yellow power leads, the yellow one should be unswitched as per above but the red one should be left connected as it is now via the ignition. That way the power via the yellow wire keeps the memory alive but the sound output gets switched off when you switch off the ignition, so it doesn't run the battery down if you forget to turn it off yourself. 

If you are happy to turn the stereo off yourself each time then take both to an unswitched supply point. 

You should find a pink/white cable as the ignition switch feed to connect to the radio Red "switched" power and you will need to extend from a purple wire  "fused permanent" to attach to the yellow radio constant power. NB NOT purple/white courtesy light earth.

The pink/white line may well have another cable attached to it usually red  with a necessary inline fuse in place. It will be the one you are using to power the radio now I expect. 

You can run a new wire from purple at the fusebox or find a connector in the courtesy light circuit.

image.png

1 hour ago, pheaney said:

You should find a pink/white cable as the ignition switch feed to connect to the radio Red "switched" power and you will need to extend from a purple wire  "fused permanent" to attach to the yellow radio constant power. NB NOT purple/white courtesy light earth.

The pink/white line may well have another cable attached to it usually red  with a necessary inline fuse in place. It will be the one you are using to power the radio now I expect.

Unfortunately 'pheaney' those wire colours you quote may be correct for a '6 but not for a '4A I think.

Edited by RobH
3 hours ago, RobH said:

Unfortunately 'pheaney' those wire colours you quote may be correct for a '6 but not for a '4A I think.

Yes RobH , I stand corrected  a  more minimal wiring setup - so no dedicated  radio wire and the only fused live wire "purple" is linked to the horn. 

I found the wiring diagrams on another post.

http://www.advanceautowire.com/tr24a.pdf

Sorry Dave for the wrong info.

Paul.

Hi Rob

Had a look at the voltage regulator this afternoon, The "A" terminal is used for the ammeter via a brown and white wire, as there is no spare spade on the A terminal I assume I must cut this wire and splice in the yellow from radio, or is there a better way?

Thanks David

Does your control box not have a second row of blades horizontally below the main vertical ones David?

prod_large.jpg.8b427ed8445ff29b6944c11eb2110cd6.jpg

If there really is no spare blade there you could use the A1terminal instead, which is really the same thing.  It probably isn't a good idea to splice into the wires if you can help it.  The yellow feed to the stereo takes next-to-no current so it would be possible to use the thin tang on the far left if you could find a connector to fit it. 

Otherwise, the wiring diagram shows a brown/yellow wire coming from the A1terminal to a fuse which feeds the horn relay so you could connect to either end of that instead, or to the other brown/green wire that goes to the ignition switch.  

A 'piggy-back' spade connector allows you to double up on a single blade. You fit it to the end of the new wire and plug the original one onto the tang. The ones shown are for 'normal' 1/4 inch blades.

pb.thumb.jpg.5117b224095ade6665e30407a9023dcd.jpg

Edited by RobH

Excellent, thanks Rob connected the yellow wire to the tang on A1 as you suggested, via a fuse. and hat presto now when I restart the car the radio / usb player does not go back to track one, perhaps now I will get further than track 15!

Having poked about behind the "H" frame and the radio, I am now firmly of the opinion that I must tidy up the rats nest of wires.

Kind regards David