New boy in trouble............

Hi guys (& girls :o ) need some help. New build TR4, on anything over half a tank the boot fills up with fumes.

Checked all the normal stuff, no problems or leaks, so whats up :huh:

I assume its fumes pushing past a seal somewhere ? Pressure due to a blocked breather maybe ?

Any help would be much appriciated

Gazoline fumes do not necessarily require big leaks. Very hard to see are problems with the tank sender seal, hidden under the deck, will not leak badly but let fumes through, the more fuel in the tank the more fun :huh:

Jean

• 3 weeks later...
New boy in trouble............

Hi guys (& girls :o ) need some help. New build TR4, on anything over half a tank the boot fills up with fumes.

Checked all the normal stuff, no problems or leaks, so whats up :huh:

I assume its fumes pushing past a seal somewhere ? Pressure due to a blocked breather maybe ?

Any help would be much appriciated

Mike,

I have a 4A with the same problem, which I have traced to the sender seal. Am now waiting to use enough fuel so that I can drain the tank, as the latter has to come out to be able to remover the sender.

Horse

Hi Horse, a very warm welcome to the Forum, I'd suggest syphoning off as much fuel asap, and finish draining tank prior to removal - I wouldn't fancy driving around with a boot/carful of petrol fumes - rather a dangerous mix, with a Flash Point of around 22.7ºC. Make it a priority this weekend.

Just check everything.

How long can it take for .......... sake?

This is a very serious safety issue. Try to pay attention to staying alive.

:blink:

Edited by robgeev
Hi Horse, a very warm welcome to the Forum, I'd suggest syphoning off as much fuel asap, and finish draining tank prior to removal - I wouldn't fancy driving around with a boot/carful of petrol fumes - rather a dangerous mix, with a Flash Point of around 22.7ºC. Make it a priority this weekend.

Jonlar,

Many thanks for your advice.

Horse

Hi Guys

Just thought I'd let you know I sorted the fumes :)

Leaking seal on the sender unit, put some silicon sealant around it and instant 95% reduction <_<

The last 5% I put down to old cars a with open pluming.......

:D