Wrong headrests?

1 hour ago, Robert Wilsher said:

When I bought my UK 1973 TR6 (in 1975) two headrests were fitted to the seats as in attached pic...I am sure these are not original equipment but what car do they come from? 
It was strange in another way also... no TR6 decal on the rear wings but union jacks instead??

237145CF-BBC2-49C5-B1EE-3BAB4691203A.jpeg

Those head restraints are BL ones but I think they are from a MGB? Others might correct me? The union flags might indicate that your car was a re- imported? Was it originally a left hand drive?

Bruce.

Hi Robert,

They certainly look like MGB headrests1970 to 1974 era but certainly not TR6. I believe the union jacks were fitted to the export cars with the UK PI cars having the 'TR6' logo instead.

Hope this helps, Peter

Yes that looks like MGB basket weave.  https://mossmotors.com/headrest-black-eared-type-perforated-vinyl

The metal stalk also looks quite long & straight, it probably pokes the back cover of the seat when the headrest is fully depressed into the seat squab.

Cheers

Peter W

Hi Robert

I would agree with the general opinion that they are MGB headrests.

I decided to convert my 1972 seast to headrests so looked around for TR6 ones for ages with no luck.

in the end i went for 70's/80's Spitfire ones, see pic, i found on fleabay. Not expensive and ok condition once i fitted new TR6 foams.

Now they may not be 100% but are at least a very close match and i have a feeling the same headrest may be used for both esp as the TR6 foam fitted. Althought it was a real pain to fit, but i have a feeling they are.

Just got to get the conversion finished.

Cheers Keith

TR headrest conversion.jpg

I think I'm right in saying that internally they are a generic 1970's BL design, the same on the TRs, Spit, Jag, etc. so you can convert them by simply recovering with new foams and covers.

Cheers, Richard

PS: I wanted a longer stem, which I found was briefly used on 1990's Minis. I just recovered them and you wouldn't know.

Spit 2.5

One would hope so but there was huge inter company competition and dislike between the brands in late 60's early 70's BMC the BL so there were many occasins where they should have worked together but didn't.

But this is my "Spitfire" headrest internal.

Is it a-la MGB?

Cheers Keith

Headrest parts.jpg

That's it. Rob Wilsher's MGB headrests will look the same if he takes the covers off. BL did do some harmonisation across the different companies; OD gear knobs, column switch stalks ...