H Frame recovering

Hi Mark,

Thought I would share a not-good job too;)

I removed the old cover and foam, back to bare metal. Then glued some cell foam, cut to size where needed. When I glued the (stitched) vinyl new cover on, it did not come out as nicely as I hoped. I have some wrinkles at the legs. Once installed, it looks ok, but it is not my best job. Not sure what caused it, maybe just craftsmanship.

Waldi

Hi Mark,

if you have the leather/vinyl cover then leave the old formed vinyl in place. If there are any cracks/gaps/holes then fill/smooth these out as they may show through

If you have the preformed vinyl moulded cover then try the fit over the existing vinyl. It may be that you have to remove the  old cover; but leave the foam backing in place.

Roger

Hi Mark

Which kit do you have ? If its the preformed vinyl one the outer covering should have been heat formed over a foam backing in which case all the old foam needs to come off down to bare metal. 

I did mine with one of this type a couple of years back and would suggest trial fitting it in place with tape, as I found to get a good fit some of the foam needed trimming.

If you have any other type I would suggest following Rogers advice above. 

Brian

1587120813102977192710745280438.thumb.jpg.8e636cd95495e3d0a879a17e32abfc95.jpgHi Mark, 

I purchased the leather kit, my frame was already back to metal and spray painted black by previous owner. 

I added foam around the gear lever section but not the back section. Then glued on in stages. I did leave gaps in the foam where the seams were, so it gave a more acceptable finish. 

13 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Mark,

if you have the leather/vinyl cover then leave the old formed vinyl in place. If there are any cracks/gaps/holes then fill/smooth these out as they may show through

If you have the preformed vinyl moulded cover then try the fit over the existing vinyl. It may be that you have to remove the  old cover; but leave the foam backing in place.

Roger

Thanks as ever for your words of wisdom Roger !

MARK