Engine replacement

Hi All.

I am in the final stages of an engine rebuild of the 5. I removed the engine and gearbox separately, (because I was still awaiting delivery of a new engine crane when I started the work)

but it looks simpler to replace the engine and gearbox as one unit. The question is - Is it possible to replace the engine/ gearbox, with the inlet and exhaust manifolds in place?

the reason for this is I have a Prestige throttle linkage ,which I have further modified, which would be much easier to set up with the engine on an engine stand, than in place.in the car. It looks as if by removing the steering shaft, as I need to move the rack anyway, that it would go in place.

Has anyone done this??

thanks

Paul B

Hi Paul,

I believe that with the steering rack and the turret cross tube removed the engine/GB would go in with the manifolds in place.

I have not tried this one (on a 4A) but somebody suggested raising the rear of the car so the the engine/GB do not have to go so steep to get into the tunnel area.

A lifting beam balancer would also help.

Roger

I took my 5 engine and gearbox out together, I left the inlet manifold on, but took the exhaust off, it gets in the way of the engine mounting bracket on that side of the chassis.

I also found that the crane didn't have enough reach it fouled on the bumper, so took that off, when it went back in I made a new box beam on the crane to give a bit more reach.

An engine balance bar would be very useful to angle the balance engine and box to get it over the grill and under the battery box area.

You do need to move the steering rack forward a bit to clear the crank pulley.

I also had to jack up the car at the front to get the crane under the chassis.

Good luck, a couple of photos

John

IMG_2256 (2).JPG

IMG_2257 (2).JPG

Edited by John L
14 hours ago, paul bond said:

Hi All.

I am in the final stages of an engine rebuild of the 5. I removed the engine and gearbox separately, (because I was still awaiting delivery of a new engine crane when I started the work)

but it looks simpler to replace the engine and gearbox as one unit. The question is - Is it possible to replace the engine/ gearbox, with the inlet and exhaust manifolds in place?

the reason for this is I have a Prestige throttle linkage ,which I have further modified, which would be much easier to set up with the engine on an engine stand, than in place.in the car. It looks as if by removing the steering shaft, as I need to move the rack anyway, that it would go in place.

Has anyone done this??

thanks

Paul B

If you raise the front of the car you can fit everything 

On my lhd 6 I installed engine and GB including throttle bodies, exhaust manifold, metering unit, etc.

The plenum was left off.

I lifted the rear of the car maybe 20-30 cm relative to the front. Engine mounts were installed at the end of the lift once the engine was in situ. I did not need to remove the steering rack, but removed the cross tube.

Cheers,

Waldi

Very good Paul,

and do it S L O W L Y, with 2 persons as a minimum and have a level solid underground. I felt relieved when the large lump was slowly lowered over the “peak” into the body.
Check your equipment before use and do not go in the “line of fire”.

Cheers,
Waldi

My engine crane is very similar to that in John L's photo.

I've found the best way for me is to remove/replace engine without both inlet manifolds and exhaust manifold and engine mounts just to give maximum manoeuvring space.  

I raise the front just enough to allow the crane legs to go under the chassis with axle stands on the chassis side rails at the box cross member area between the suspension turrets.

I then raise the back end of the car another 8 inches approx. to tilt the car forward to reduce the angle that I have to insert the engine at. I use as short a sling as possible to enable the back of the gearbox/engine assembly to clear the top of the front valance/grill and then to give clearance for the sump to clear the valance as the gearbox tail is lowered below the transmission tunnel in the bulkhead. A second man is needed to steady the lift to prevent damage to paintwork, etc being very careful to avoid damage to hands, etc. I don't have an adjustable lift bar so he is also needed to manually lift the back of the gearbox as the assembly gets near to its' final position.

When somewhere near final position a metal bar across floors under gearbox is used until rear gearbox mount and engine mounts can be fixed.

Dave McD 

I have installed a fair few engines and gearboxes but never with the manifolds or linkages on.

The job itself is very straightforward and can be done as a 1 man job.

What you need to be aware of is scratching the inner wings and the bulkhead.

So you will have enough on your hands without the ancillaries, so whip them off and re fit afterwards.

Red 6 and all others who gave advice. Thanks.

I replaced the engine/ gearbox this morning, with all the ancillaries in place,manifolds starter etc. went in fine with room to spare.

I moved the rack forward and then took out the steering shaft, which gave more access to the exhaust manifold to downpipe flange. Engine mounts were also fitted, but loose to make it easier to line up.

One of the  main things which made it easy was the use of a load leveller on the crane, beiing able to alter the angle of the load precisely as it was lowered, simplified the job greatly. The other thing was the advice from my Wife !!!

Thanks all

Paul