Recommended British TV shows ?

We like to watch British TV shows on the US PBS channels, Netflix, Amazon Prime but the content is limited. We are looking at Britbox and/or Acorn TV streaming options but we dont recognize a lot of the shows listed. I wonder if you think back over the last few years was there a UK TV series that stood out or one that you enjoyed more than others ? Perhaps if I can find them on Britbox or Acorn that would help us decide or we will just sign up for both if they both have compelling content.

Stan

Hi Stan.

Some of my favourites:

Line of Duty, Silent Witness, Bodyguard, Happy Valley, Call the Midwife, Endeavour, Last Tango in Halifax.

Some rave about things like Fleabag, Peaky Blinders and Killing Eve, but I couldn't get on with any of these.

HTH

Sean

Waking The Dead , Inspector Morse, New Tricks, Foyles War, Life on Mars

Period stuff from the 60s/70s / 80s like The Sweeney, The Persuaders, Minder, Department S, Jason King, Randall & Hopkirk ( nice to see the old motors !)

Must not forget......Thunderbirds !

Stan, absolutely all of the above, except Thunderbirds. Especially Waking the Dead, Trevor Eve and Sue Johnston.

Set maybe 15 years ago, a cold case policing type thing, very good and being rerun on 'Drama' at the moment.

John.

18 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

Stan, absolutely all of the above, except Thunderbirds. Especially Waking the Dead, Trevor Eve and Sue Johnston.

Set maybe 15 years ago, a cold case policing type thing, very good and being rerun on 'Drama' at the moment.

John.

..............and what is wrong with Thunderbirds ?

How could you ! Throwing hissy fit and now slamming doors in disgust.

Stan

I fully concur with all the above, but, if you like cops series, Waking the Dead, Line of Duty, Foyles War, Bodyguard and Killing Eve are a must.

There is just so much, memory fails me sometimes . . . . . . I'll post as the memory kicks in.

3 minutes ago, Crawfie said:

Original Thunderbirds; YES

But, there will be little available except on You Tube

Latest Thunderbirds, No, sorry 

I agree with Foyles War but what about Death in Paradise and Poldark the newer version but I’m told the old version was equally as good.

Ooops, I nearly forgot Downton Abbey and Time Team if you have not already seen these  they have several series.

Edited by SuzanneH
8 minutes ago, wjgco said:

Original Thunderbirds; YES

But, there will be little available except on You Tube

Latest Thunderbirds, No, sorry 

Oh god yes.

New stuff is.....well **** but really for the new younger generation.

Now and then , I still watch the first episode with Fireflash and the elevator cars.

5 minutes ago, SuzanneH said:

I agree with Foyles War but what about Death in Paradise and Poldark the newer version but I’m told the old version was equally as good.

Unfortunately ( for me) my mum was into period drama on the telly.

Upstairs Downstairs, Onedin line, poldark, duchess of duke street .....

11 minutes ago, Crawfie said:

Unfortunately ( for me) my mum was into period drama on the telly.

I just about remember Upstairs Downstairs and The Duchess of Duke Street but not the others you mention. I only mentioned the orriginal version of Poldark as I have been told by others that they preferred it to the recent version. 

Agree with all the above, but if you can get it add "Car Share" to the list with Peter Kay.....and look out for shop and road signs as the car drives past them

Edited by 4Mal

Life on Mars and then straight into Ashes to Ashes, Original Poldark definitely (lots of my friends were extras in it) The Camomile lawn (filmed very close to me and one of my friends junk shop supplied most of the period indoor props)

Stuart.

37 minutes ago, Crawfie said:

onedin line that was mainly filmed in Dartmouth and on the River Dart. Port scenes are bayards cove.

9 minutes ago, Hamish said:

onedin line that was mainly filmed in Dartmouth and on the River Dart. Port scenes are bayards cove.

Also some port scenes at Charlestown near me.

Stuart.

1 hour ago, Crawfie said:

Once spurned by Lady Penelope,  I was never the same man.

John.

Oh, come on, try to get back out of the playbox, folks, and watch some adult drama (not that "adult")

I, Claudius - BritBox and Amazon Prime, and much more recently "Dracula" - "I'm undead, ladies, I'm not unreasonable!"

I know it's French but it's very good!   If you can find it, "Spiral" a French language noir-cop series, shown with subtitles by Channel 4.    It's "Engrenages" ('Gears') in the original Canal+ production and availbale from their website, but without subs.     It's great, but unless your French is very good, and very colloquial with Parisian slang, you'll need them!     https://www.canalplus.com/series/engrenages/h/4444010_40099

Certain Doctor Who episodes transcend the whole series.  "Blink", in which the Doctor himself hardly appears, is one of the most scary TV plays, ever.   https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0074gpl

But if yiou want to watch some serioulsy entertaining childrens' programme - "Magic Roundabout" 

6 hours ago, SuzanneH said:

Ooops, I nearly forgot Downton Abbey and Time Team if you have not already seen these  they have several series.

Time Team

YES, YES especially the earlier series . . . . From about S3 onwards . . . .just an absolute must.

36 minutes ago, kiwican said:

Is the The Professionals available anywhere? I have looked in the past but not found anything.

Simon

Simon,

Its on ITV4 morning and afternoon. The morning episode is a repeat of the previous day's afternoon showing.

Also with Minder and The Sweeney and Quincy and Kojak 

Hi USA-Stan,

Allow me to add one on behalf of the overseas members:

“Little Britain” It’s strength was the repetitive humor. Think it’s quite ancient but we like it.

Dutch Waldi