Hi, new TR4A owner

Hi, just purchased a 1965 TR4A, always wanted one of these but never seemed to get around to it. I've been a lifelong Triumph fan having owned and restored (twice) a Spitfire for the last 31 years, have had a few of these but kept this one. Also built a GT6 from the ground up but found it too small. I hadn't intended buying this but as soon as I saw the advert that soon changed. I intend to use the car (if we ever get out of this lockdown) and to restore as I use it. My main workshop space is taken up with the building of a 'new' (BMH bodyshell) 1275GT which needs to be completed before I eventually take this off the road. I've joined the register and will have lots of questions if that's okay, feel a little intimidated by the car as my knowledge is limited at the moment in terms of body structures etc. I know I want to remove the driver's front wing to repair or replace and the inner wing looks like it has been repaired back in the day so I want access to that to sort it out at some point.

Anyway, back to the car, as you can see it has been used and is fairly original, the last owner has had the car for 36 years and has driven it keeping on top of mechanical requirements, she runs beautifully but the rest of the car needs a refresh. The last major piece of work was back in 95 when the gearbox was reconditioned and a new chasis was fitted to the car. Since then the car has averaged about a 1000 miles a year and has been stored in a garage. The paintwork has a number of chips and rust spots, at the moment I am just taking this back to clean metal, etch priming and then brushing on some BRG paint to keep the metal safe. Feel very fortunate to have a car that is the sound basis for using it and undertaking a restoration. I see every panel being removed and repaired or replaced (including engine bay) over the course of the resto with the intention to eventually repaint the car in the original conifer green. The interior will also have a full refresh, in no rush to complete this though.

.IMG_7951.JPG.83ed95abdc3fd9639fb311f95999acad.JPG

I've spent the last few days just going through the car, this included a quick DA polish of the bodywork, Also placed an order with Rimmers for the usual service items, new set of rad hoses, oil filter conversion kit and electronic ignition both of which I'll fit once I have spent some time driving the car. Looking forward to participating in the forum, here are a few pictures

IMG_7962.JPG.db412e5e2b615aeaa2e9e9405109067d.JPG

IMG_7982.JPG.2bf7fccc6a69954fc9c7246e79605e78.JPG

IMG_7969.thumb.JPG.7053ce1597ddf2a95f173715fd4fa6f8.JPG

IMG_7971.thumb.JPG.b90891bbd305a4baa9d0453978851ca4.JPG

IMG_7958.JPG.a08ed67b2afe621c76972fb4a1cdfd55.JPG

Welcome to theTRR, I’m sure you’ll have fun with your car.... take your time to learn where it is strong and where it needs some help. Many  very knowledgable and experienced folk on here who i’m sure will be able to offer assistance and alternative ideas as you need it.

..... Andy 

She’s looking better already.  Good to see she will be well looked after and restored as she should be

This forum has been a great help to me and will be to you

Happy TRing

Jase,

Welcome to the Forum.

To save yourself possible hassle in the future the first thing to do is to fit a secondary means of opening the bonnet.

Graham

1 hour ago, Grahamgl said:

Jase,

Welcome to the Forum.

To save yourself possible hassle in the future the first thing to do is to fit a secondary means of opening the bonnet.

Graham

Thanks Graham, best way of doing this?

Jason

Jason,

I took a different route to the one Roger has shown. I turned up a pair of posts to mimic the Triumph cable release.

Graham

From the looks of it you have a very good basis to start with, the new chassis is a definite bonus to start, forget replacing any panels unless you can get originals I would basically repair what you have , TR Shop are a better source of parts too. Good luck with it.

Stuart.

Hi Jase, welcome to TRR, another way of overcoming the bonnet issue is to run a second cable alonside the original which is made off to the release lever under the bonnet, when the original fails a pair of pliers/mole grips on the spare cable will release the bonnet. and something that will help put less strain on the release mechanism generally  is to push down on the bonnet just above the release mech whilst your left hand pulls the release under the dash. this takes the load of the spring mech and with the drivers door window down this is easily achieved

Thanks everyone, really looking forward to TR ownership and using the car. My Spitfire seems to have shrunk since it was last on the road in 97, not sure how :) and this car now fits a lot better for a more 'mature' driver. Looking forward to future discussions and please be prepared and tolerant of questions.

Cheers from South Wales.

IMG_3320.thumb.JPG.15a6dc21c44d8ed2ecf0e029da6d1bc9.JPG

IMG_0644.thumb.JPG.3b04ce91f30704cd891577ba964bd343.JPG

Edited by Jase
On 4/16/2020 at 8:59 AM, RogerH said:

Hi Jason,

have a look here - you'll get the idea  https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=triumph+tr4+bonnet+release&_sacat=0

Where abouts are you in the UK.

Get in touch with your local group - they could be a great help

Roger

Thanks Roger, just picked up one of these from Moss.