TR7 weighted front bumper

The front bumper O/S & N/S corner covers are drooping which are weighted,  l can lift the covers so they are straight to the body see any obvious fixing to support weights to the body,  I'm missing some weight support fixing. The main centre section seems in good straight condition. What is the purpose of the weights and are they necessary or can the bumper be fitted without them. 

Regards

Andy

Hi Andy

I've removed them in the past and someone told me I shouldn't have done it as they're to help stability and body shaking. I've noticed absolutely no difference!

Mike.

I think the centre pivot on the front bumper, which is only on the convertible, has some significance with the weights too.

Hi the convertible front bumper is mounted on two rubber sandwiches that are supposed to do something with harmonics and eliminating vibrations. 

As can be expected from BL the mounts failed soon after the warrantee expired. The steel plates detach themselves from the rubber and the bumper then sags at the sides. I replaced the mounts on mine when it was less than 10 years old and they failed again soon afterwards.  Since the mounts haven't been available for years many owners have simply drilled through the plates and bolted the sandwich back together. It looks better but the harmonic benefit is lost. 

If you remove the mounts altogether the bumper sits an inch closer to the car and the grill is then too proud. The hardtop has a shorter grill because of this.

There are solid spacers available that can replace the old mounts but again there is no harmonic benefit. You probably won't notice any difference though as you have been driving with broken mounts anyway. 

For what it's worth, I actually managed to repair my rubber-sandwich plates, one of which had separated completely, with tiger seal, clamped overnight in the vice. It's been on the car for maybe 1000 miles and is still ok. 

Frank