LED Dash lights.

I'm presently replacing the dash gauge lights with LED's and although as suggested carefully labeling all the wires two bulbs popped out of the Rev counter before i could get tags on them.

One of the bulbs has a chromed head -wire colour white plus brown with yellow stripe.

The other has a standard bulb - wire colour white plus white with brown stripe

I assume the chromed headed bulb is the ignition light but if someone could please confirm, also is it correct that the ignition and and oil pressure bulbs should be left as standard.

Classic Car LEDs advise that the bulbs will only work one way in the bulb holder. Is there any issues with reconnecting the battery and testing the lights before putting the dials and the dash back in.

Thanks

Phil.

IMG_4269.jpg

There are modern bulbs which are deliberately 'chromed' as bling, for use in indicators as you can't see the bulb until it lights. I have never heard of one being used as an ignition warning lamp. Seems more likely that yours is a very old bulb and what looks like chrome is actually metal from the filament which has burned off and deposited on the glass, which means air has probably got in. I would say it needs replacing.

Edited by RobH

On a different thread Ian posted a picture if his dash.

Whilst I have Green from Classic Car Led's I'm going to order Blue.

Anyone want some Green ones for the postage PM me. Spec below.

Phil

12VT10CANGR_1GLB504 T10 LED Capless Wedge Bulbs Classic Car Gauge Dashboard

Blue Dash..jpg

TBH I would have thought if your going to use coloured dash lights red would have been better for night driving.

Stuart.

On 4/15/2020 at 4:28 PM, RobH said:

Seems more likely that yours is a very old bulb and what looks like chrome is actually metal from the filament which has burned off and deposited on the glass, which means air has probably got in.

Just so. It's an old bulb which is under-stressed and has been slowly plating the inside of the glass envelope. You used to see this on bicycle "Dynohub" headlamps. With halogen bulbs, the envelope gets hot enough that the vapour doesn't condense on the glass and re-deposits on the filament.

Cheers, Richard

Help.. What am I missing ?

Prior to putting the dash back in I thought it best to test the lights as due to the polarity they only fit work one way in the bulb holder.

I rewired all the small gauges completely but only put the bulbs in the holders for the Rev counter and Speedo.

All the black earth wires from the Speedo and the Rev counter I attached to the metal dash.

The two wire to the rheostat I joined using spade connectors.

This didn't work so I reinstated the rheostat.

The Main Beam, Indicators both with LED's work and the Oil and Ignition lights ( standard bulbs) come on.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Phil

7 minutes ago, Phil H 4 said:

Help.. What am I missing ?

Prior to putting the dash back in I thought it best to test the lights as due to the polarity they only fit work one way in the bulb holder.

I rewired all the small gauges completely but only put the bulbs in the holders for the Rev counter and Speedo.

All the black earth wires from the Speedo and the Rev counter I attached to the metal dash.

The two wire to the rheostat I joined using spade connectors.

This didn't work so I reinstated the rheostat.

The Main Beam, Indicators both with LED's work and the Oil and Ignition lights ( standard bulbs) come on.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Phil

The bulbs need to be fitted into the gauges to work, presumably this earths them.