Rear licence plate holder to hide boot rack mountings

Hi

I'm in the process of fitting a boot rack to my TR4. It is the type that fits under the hinges and bolts to the boot under the licence plate.

Unfortunately my licence plate holder is chromed ABS and isn't hinged to remove the plate. There isn't any way that I can remove the plate without damage so I think I will need another holder.

The holder is necessary to hide the mounting tabs for the rack.

Has anyone done this recently? If so where did you get the holder from? Mine was fitted a tad too high up for the luggage rack which was why I had to remove it.

I can buy the same type on eBay but the quality isn't great and the lower edge is deeper than the top one and makes the whole a little deep for the space available.https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/310709533914?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=310709533914&targetid=879043638628&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=1006605&poi=&campaignid=9455575137&mkgroupid=94880575894&rlsatarget=pla-879043638628&abcId=1139576&merchantid=7427754&gclid=Cj0KCQjw4dr0BRCxARIsAKUNjWQu0-FLoSn3HHpHtT4e1g3jM1MAd5XryKwJuwjTfIa7sX-x01I6ceQaAkimEALw_wcB

Thoughts anyone?

Keep safe

Andy

IMG_4271.jpg

IMG_4272.jpg

I've decided to do away with the holder but am now looking to use double-sided foam (the type that doesn't hold water, can't recall the name). It needs to be 5-6 mm thick. I would like to run it all the way round the perimeter of the plate but can't find it on a roll and the sets of pads will leave gaps that will look unsightly. Has anyone done this please? If so can you point me in the right direction?

Andy

3M Acrylic Foam reference n° 4945 F. Comes in various widths.

Used to hold airplanes together I believe. Look it up on Internet to make sure it is what you want as it may be a bit permanent for your requirements!

james

7 hours ago, james christie said:

3M Acrylic Foam reference n° 4945 F. Comes in various widths.

I have seen that on my travels on the web but can't find it in 5-6mm thickness

Andy

Used to use this tape a lot when working in the sign industry/exhibition industry. Brilliant stuff, but ensure that all surfaces are thoroughly cleaned, NOT with white spirit, but lighter fuel, meths, adhesive cleaner etc. You can build the tape up to 5mm just by overlaying it on itself.

Tim

My number plate is held on with basic consumer grade 3M Scotch exterior grade double sided tape. https://www.amazon.co.uk/3M-Scotch-Exterior-Mounting-60-Inch/dp/B00004Z4BV

I run tape close to the edges all round as that stops crud getting behind the plate. It's stayed on very happily for several years, replaced once when I had to remove the plate but was very secure at that point and actually took quite a bit of effort to prise it off.

Nigel

If you do need to get the foam tape off for any reason just warm it with a heat gun, and it should roll off.

Tim