Air Filters for Weber DCOE 40 Carbs

Morning All

When  I originally acquired this car back in the 90s the Weber’s had KN oval filters fitted. These were a very tight fit, and an absolute pain to remove. Over the years they got damaged and I finally removed them. As a temporary measure I’ve been using foam filters. I fully appreciate these are disastrous waiting to happen, and need to be replaced ASAP. 
My Weber’s are fitted with 38mm Air horns. Strictly speaking I should have 40mm space between the end of the air horn and the filter end plate. To achieve that I would need the 83mm KN filters, however that’s going to be tight. I could use the 63mm filters, however that obviously reduces the gap. 
The other option I have considered is the new Webcon mesh filters. These are not the old style basic mesh type that wouldn’t stop anything smaller than a sparrow, 

but a new design with three filter screens that appear to filter well. There is a slight reduction in power, but not a major consideration for me these days. 
I would rather not fit shorter air horn as the car run well as it is. I would be interest to hear what others in a similar situation have done.

Thanks

Cameron 

hi, I have the Webcon filters on my 6,  as you say they have 3 filter screens  and they look good and are easy to take on and off, only down side i found that when the 6 was on the rolling road it lost 5 BHP with the filters on, going from 181 to 176

tony

Hi I have the 45mm oval filters no more room at the time due to GT6 inlet manifolds. With a TWM now fitted I could just about clear 63mm ones (due to inner wing clearance) .I have 25mm clearance just above minimum I believe.I shortened the intake trumpets to achieve this .Its been fine for 20+years ,not best clearance but I prefer this type of full size filter.    Chris

Hi Cameron,

I use the rectangular K&Ns 2-1/2" long ( ~63mm ) with 18mm trumpets on my driver, for 24 years now. There is sufficient room to remove the cover plates held by (2) wingnuts each.

On my concourse car I use the standard trumpets ( 38mm I think ) but extended the filters with a " gasket " made of rubber fuel line reinforced with brake line tubing bent for purpose, placed between the inboard steel cover and the filter element. This keeps the end cover as far as possible from the inlet. Even extended there is sufficient room for removal. However...this car has its wheel arch notch modified slightly to enable ease of fitting the 63mm filter originally; the early cars like mine have a truncated notch which impinges on the front filter cover.

Pics of both, but the red one doesn't show the extended filters:

Tom 

TR PCV AND SILENCER SHOTS 009.jpg

CD8315L9-6-8 017.jpg