TR3 rear Shock Absorbers

How do I stop the rear Shock Absorbers leaking after about 1000km 

Some just weep a bit around the shaft and some the oil just pours out of the shaft

I am on the 3rd pair from Moss UK through our club parts fund

Club has been told by Moss UK that the Suspension at the rear is the problem

What do I look for as a Mechanic as check the rear all new brushes all round and can not find anything wrong

Hi Oliver, you don`t say whether the dampers are new or re-conditioned, but shouldn`t be leaking in either case, although some re-conditioned items seem to consist of being cleaned and painted only. I am wondering if they are over full of oil, there needs to be an air gap to allow the oil to expand as it heats up, if it has no where to go it will force itself through the seal on the arm.

The shock absorbers are new

I just took off the old ones and put the new ones one

did not touch them 

one is losing oil just by sitting in the garage the other one is just a bit damp around the shaft 

this is the second set in 4 years and about 4,000km 

We have had numerous problems here in Australia with Moss rear shock absorbers. Moss give the same excuse that there is something wrong with the rear suspension. That is rubbish, the shocks are poorly designed and made.

Mine disintegrated internally at speed on a country road. Extremely dangerous situation. The rebound straps were in exactly the right place and Moss said the shocks were over extended because the car didn't have rebound straps.

Don't touch Moss shock absorbers. Get an original set and have them overhauled if you can. 

On 4/16/2020 at 6:07 AM, John McCormack said:

We have had numerous problems here in Australia with Moss rear shock absorbers. Moss give the same excuse that there is something wrong with the rear suspension. That is rubbish, the shocks are poorly designed and made.

Mine disintegrated internally at speed on a country road. Extremely dangerous situation. The rebound straps were in exactly the right place and Moss said the shocks were over extended because the car didn't have rebound straps.

Don't touch Moss shock absorbers. Get an original set and have them overhauled if you can. 

Hi John, I have two original sets, neither of which appear to be leaking, and I have cleaned and painted one set for my re-build. Do you know where they can be overhauled as I would like to get my spare set done.

Ralph.

17 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

Hi John, I have two original sets, neither of which appear to be leaking, and I have cleaned and painted one set for my re-build. Do you know where they can be overhauled as I would like to get my spare set done.

Ralph.

If you are in Australia send me a message. We can exchange phone numbers and discuss it.

If you are in the UK Ralph try Stevson Motors, Unit 1, 2a Harrow Rd, Birmingham, B29 7DN, tel. 0121 472 1702. This company has been  reconditioning lever arm and some telescopic shock absorbers to a high standard since the year dot. The good news is that they are still operating  during our current lockdown. The classic car community would certainly consider their business essential!

Tim

+1 for the Stevson Motors recommendation, speak to Derek. Just bought a pair of fully reconditioned Armstrong dampers from them at a competitive price, although they will do part/ex. as well. Very helpful and knowledgeable, they must be the best in the UK..

I also endorse comments on the Moss offerings - just don't bother!

Rob

• 3 weeks later...

The local TR Register has been importing shocks from Moss and due to the problems we have had with them we are now exploring other options. We don't have a lever arm shock absorber repairer here who can provide a long term option. While we are looking at overseas rebuilders the difficulty and cost of returning the old shocks makes it cumbersome and costly.

We need to look at other non Moss suppliers of quality rear shocks.

Can anybody provide good advice on the quality of shocks from other sources e.g. TRF, Rimmers, Revington, TR Shop etc etc.

Hi, a few years ago I had the problem of leaking shock absorbers. After using several sets without success, I modified them. Now I haven't had problems with leaking shock absorbers for several years. The modification can be seen on my website under tab Restoration and then click on photo shock absorbers. (website https://triumph-TR2.com)

I have sets from both TR Shop and from Revington and both have been faultless. I also have uprated rear springs, front springs and gas Spax adjustables with a heavy anti roll bar.

Car sits well, handles superbly with no leaks or faults from new.

• 1 year later...