Essential Drive to my Mechanic

Had to drive to my Jag’s mechanic’s shop. To show off. I am now at 247 miles on rebuilt engine. Got some more to go. But it’s lovely driving weather here in Phoenix. I stayed away from everyone (by out cornering), even going up to Tortilla Flats, the restaurant was open! Unexpected. Here is what came out of the motor. On its last trip with this inside, I drove all the way to Triumphest and back last year (545 miles each way).  These cars are pretty tough.

2E01E2A9-F413-4B2F-8395-3B9ECF920D64.jpeg

9EC415BA-533C-4883-8264-8640440F8933.jpeg

35334E8C-B204-4AAB-A245-97A79F0A4B7E.jpeg

12 hours ago, CK's TR6 said:

Had to drive to my Jag’s mechanic’s shop. To show off. I am now at 247 miles on rebuilt engine. Got some more to go. But it’s lovely driving weather here in Phoenix. I stayed away from everyone (by out cornering), even going up to Tortilla Flats, the restaurant was open! Unexpected. Here is what came out of the motor. On its last trip with this inside, I drove all the way to Triumphest and back last year (545 miles each way).  These cars are pretty tough.

2E01E2A9-F413-4B2F-8395-3B9ECF920D64.jpeg

9EC415BA-533C-4883-8264-8640440F8933.jpeg

35334E8C-B204-4AAB-A245-97A79F0A4B7E.jpeg

I see that some of your bits were well worn? What was the state of the camshaft, after looking at your cam followers. We are on full lock down here! Therefore my TR is in the garage until this plague has passed. 

Bruce. 

Cam shaft was toast. But the custom pistons were fine, rods, rollers, valves, timing chain, gears, bearing saddles, etc all good. So, a used crank, new cam with followers, bearings etc. 25 psi at idle and 30 psi at 3000 rpm. So, not entirely off putting but I’m glad I yanked it out. 

1 hour ago, CK's TR6 said:

Cam shaft was toast. But the custom pistons were fine, rods, rollers, valves, timing chain, gears, bearing saddles, etc all good. So, a used crank, new cam with followers, bearings etc. 25 psi at idle and 30 psi at 3000 rpm. So, not entirely off putting but I’m glad I yanked it out. 

Interesting view on oil pressure.

My Tr6 has 30psi at idle and 60-65psi at cruise when hot.

My daily driver TR2 had new big ends, mains and rings about 70,000 miles ago. It has 35psi at idle and 65-70psi at cruise when hot. The 'new' TR2 with a newly rebuilt engine has 30psi and 60-65psi when hot.

I'd be worried if any of my cars had pressure below 50psi at 2000 rpm when hot.

Edited by John McCormack

That’s interesting John.  The handbook says oil pressure at 2000 revs should be 45 - 65 but competition work may cause oil pressure to drop below 25 indicating that the oil temp is excessive and to use an oil cooler.  So perhaps CK drives like he is in a competition !  
Seriously though, if high temperatures cause the oil to thin and loose pressure, it doesn’t mean that you are loosing flow as well -does it?  I wonder how many people have an oil cooler to ‘cure’ excessive temperature when in fact they are masking a worn engine?

With the six cylinders and small four cylinder engines if you drive on a Motorway for over ten miles, 2500 rpm, watch the pressure drop from 60 to 50. From by own experience this is normal on an engine in good condition. Once you come off the Motorway and on the back roads the pressure will resume it's 60 psi.

Yes hot oil.

Dave

9 hours ago, CK's TR6 said:

Was this not the pre strip down oil pressures ? And on a reasonably long trip in Phoenix so reasonably warm. ??

45 minutes ago, DaveR said:

With the six cylinders and small four cylinder engines if you drive on a Motorway for over ten miles, 2500 rpm, watch the pressure drop from 60 to 50. From by own experience this is normal on an engine in good condition. Once you come off the Motorway and on the back roads the pressure will resume it's 60 psi.

Yes hot oil.

Dave

Mine all maintain over 60 psi on the free way, sometimes on 600km trips at 115km/h. I'd be concerned if it fell to around 50. Obviously being Australia it is often hot conditions.

But if my engine had always shown 50 psi at cruise with no other issues I'd probably be happy with it. 

Edited by John McCormack
8 hours ago, John McCormack said:

Interesting view on oil pressure.

My Tr6 has 30psi at idle and 60-65psi at cruise when hot.

My daily driver TR2 had new big ends, mains and rings about 70,000 miles ago. It has 35psi at idle and 65-70psi at cruise when hot. The 'new' TR2 with a newly rebuilt engine has 30psi and 60-65psi when hot.

I'd be worried if any of my cars had pressure below 50psi at 2000 rpm when hot.

My oil pressure runs at 70 psi on cruise from 2000 rpm on wards and on tick over 60 psi when hot. I have got an oil cooler which has a thermostat in the oil line. CK's oil pressure suggests to me that the crank is worn, plus the camshaft bearings and my be the oil pump. My car has always had high oil pressure even from new.

Bruce. 

6 hours ago, John McCormack said:

Mine all maintain over 60 psi on the free way, sometimes on 600km trips at 115km/h. I'd be concerned if it fell to around 50. Obviously being Australia it is often hot conditions.

But if my engine had always shown 50 psi at cruise with no other issues I'd probably be happy with it. 

For what it is worth I have had loads of Triumphs since 1965 which includes two new one's and those have been my own experiences over that time. 

Back in the 1970's I raised it with the Triumph and they stated that it was normal.

To be fair if you increased the revs above 2700 rpm the pressure would increase.

Dave

Yes those were the pressures prior to tear down. Interestingly, the oil temp stayed at around 215. I normally drive 75-85 for hours and hours. In the summertime at 118f outside even. The oil temps then would vary from 205 to 215 well below coking. I have been known to drive faster but not consistently that fast for long time. Today, put another 150 miles on new engine. Plenty of oil pressure. But again, you drive at 85 plus for an hour then slow down, the oil temp will climb to 210 then slowly cool down.