...yet another question please. When fitting the speedo angle drive back onto the O/D unit, when the brass knurled is securely tightened should the angle drive still be able to rotate?

Don't remember this being the case when removing it.

Many thanks,

Tim

... any copper washer, as I can't see one on the parts list?

Cheers,

Tim

31 minutes ago, Tim T said:

... any copper washer, as I can't see one on the parts list?

Cheers,

Tim

Copper washer is usually for the new repro angle drives, original ones didnt have one, it should do up tight with the cable pointing in the right direction.

Stuart.

Moss Europe No.96 on gearbox and OD page    pt. no. - 3H550

Rimmers No.18 on gearbox and OD page      pt. no.-538532

Copper washer 7/16"ID

Angle drive was one of the first things needing replacement on my car and the washer fell out and disappeared into the gravel drive sometime around 1970!!      Over the years with both the Pi saloon and TR some angle drives have needed the washer, some have not, sometimes it depends on how clean the adaptor thread is.

Cheers Rob  

Stuart,

I believe it is the original unit, see photo, and when done up tight it moves freely. I have put a copper washer in and that does make a sufficient difference, but could be a little thicker. Would any other washer material do or does it have to be copper?

Many thanks,

Tim

IMG-20200413-WA0001.thumb.jpeg.f16a7bea8f7fa5b2f4c38e6e997eef73.jpeg

Hi Tim,

Think you could use the hard red gasket material as used on carbs too.It will provide better sealing too.

Waldi

... a fibre washer?

Tim

3 hours ago, Tim T said:

Stuart,

I believe it is the original unit, see photo, and when done up tight it moves freely. I have put a copper washer in and that does make a sufficient difference, but could be a little thicker. Would any other washer material do or does it have to be copper?

Many thanks,

Tim

IMG-20200413-WA0001.thumb.jpeg.f16a7bea8f7fa5b2f4c38e6e997eef73.jpeg

Hi Tim !

The original ones were made by Smiths Industries and they had their part number stamped on the back face under the rear blanking plug: 86240-05 then the year of manufacture. If I remember correctly copper washer were only used on the aftermarket ones. The casting on yours looks very rough to me to be OEM and the thread form?

Bruce.

9 hours ago, Tim T said:

... a fibre washer?

Tim

Hi Tim,

yes, if you have one that fits. You can also use it additional to the copper washer.

Waldi

Bruce,

This one appears to have the stamp unless the repro ones do as well. What do you think?

Thanks,

Tim

IMG_5711mod.thumb.jpg.c1c2dde1d3fdbba0d460b493d992bd2d.jpg