Column movement

Is the whole column moving, or just thr steering wheel?

if steering wheel, there are bushings in between the inner and outer column.

if the whole column, check the mourning points. I have heard there is one by the firewall that can tear.

Graham

Time for a good inspection, if you study the parts diagram on the Moss website and the WSM, you get a better understanding of its design and where to look.

Waldi

Hi Paul,

the TR steering column stiffness is much lower than for modern drivers, but 6 mm vertical play is to much.

Worn bushes are not the likely cause. A loose or broken bracket is a note likely cause.

Waldi

I refer you to this picture I posted the other day for a TR4 overdrive relay position, the column bracket is seen there, thats the one that often cracks through so check that as well as column bushes.

Stuart.

1Locationofrelaywiringintotunnel.thumb.jpg.6f09cecebacde3b473c14d012fd9f7c0.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Yes they are different as you don't need to press the old rubber bushes out of your column and i feel much better with the new delrin bushes as there is no movement anymore in the column.

I am very happy with the new bushes.

Please follow the instructions on the website, pretty good explanation of the work that you have to do with many pictures.

Harald

Check the security of the clamp at the bulkhead inside the car if that is loose it will cause movement even if the dash clamp is tight, otherwise column bushes as previous, 

Rob

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Having thought through things I’m not convinced the issue I have is bushes. It would help me clarify matters if someone would please advise me on this: my outer column will, if I grip the light/indicator stalk cowels, rotate a little to the left and right. Is this correct or should there be no movement?

Thanks.

14 hours ago, Paulfc said:

Hi,

Having thought through things I’m not convinced the issue I have is bushes. It would help me clarify matters if someone would please advise me on this: my outer column will, if I grip the light/indicator stalk cowels, rotate a little to the left and right. Is this correct or should there be no movement?

Thanks.

No, check the support bracket on the inside of the bulkhead they are very prone to cracking.

Stuart.

The outer column is a weak ali tube,

I've seen photos from broken ones,

there where the steering lock is or there where it is bolted on the dashboard.

Edited by Z320

You are not kidding that it is weak aluminium!

Mine sheared during the Round Britain Reliability Run!

Fixed with some well placed rivets!

Tim

After taking time out to think through why the column could be moving vertically, weighing up the suggestions and theories kindly suggested above and also studying various manuals and sales catalogues I concluded something clearly wasn’t as it should be. But what? 
I knew it wasn’t bushes as the steering experience was really positive and there were no obvious signs of cracking or splitting at the various locations suggested by forum contributors. I decided to remove the tachometer and speedo instruments to gain better access to the column behind the dash. I quickly established the forward bracket was fine and complete and the associated bolts tight. However the rear bracket (nearest the steering wheel) was not rigid. The bracket was tight around the column but I then realised the lower part of the bracket (part number 611529) is bolted to the fascia panel (part number 910060) to provide rigidity. After some further dismantling I discovered the fascia panel has two captive threaded studs and the bracket is bolted to it via a nut and a half locking nut. At sometime in the past the left hand stud had sheared and never been repaired. Nowhere did I find any documentation reference to these although the Rimmer’s TR6 catalogue on pages 85/86 lists p/n GFH200 and NT604041but there’s no indication as to what they attach.

So, cause identified, temporary repair completed so I can safely carry on driving and plans in hand for the full repair over the winter.

Owning a Triumph is never dull!!