Replacing fuel tank

In 2006 I glooped my tank, but now need to replace as can be seen from picture .I now looking for recommendations on current best tank/supplier. Car is 1962 TR4. 

THis may be a silly question: Aluminum is one of the metals susceptible to degradation by ethanol fuels. Where does that leave ally tanks?

200410_174558.jpg

Mike  -  I have dealt with Alicool for quite a while and I think it is fair to say they are one of the leading alloy tank suppliers in the country, and the actual physical quality of their products speaks for itself. 

I have asked them a very similar question and basically their experience is that they have not had or seen any issues of degradation in the their tanks from modern fuels and I understand they supply quite a lot of tanks to joe public and most of the leading TR Suppliers. They use top quality alloy - you can liken that to rubbish steel or top quality steel and see which lasts.

Alloy tanks have had a somewhat unfair reputation in the recent past because of the poor quality of some imported tanks sold by well known suppliers where tanks leaked, they cracked and the mountings/outlets were not accurate. You won't find any of that the best UK made tanks. 

Who knows whether in the future after prolonged use, modern alloys may suffer, but that's surely a question of longevity and choice which is impossible to answer at the moment. I'd rather have an alloy tank today as opposed to a steel tank, as I bet the ethanol induced water in a replacement steel tank will corrode it far quicker than an alloy tank.

Add to this that the cost is pretty much the same for both types, then to my mind its a no brainer if the choice is between steel and alloy. You could go to stainless steel but who knows what ethanol fuels will do with that material over time - what we do know right now is that there aren't that many stainless steel tank manufacturers, and those that are, have to charge considerably more than an alloy tank.

Ultimately of course the choice is yours, but there seem to be lots of satisfied TR owners about happily driving around with alloy tanks in the knowledge that they are a lot better choice than the leaky steel ones they replaced , and often at a cheaper cost as well.

If you want any more info, then please PM me

Cheers Rich 

I’m considering an Alicool replacement tank in the future (after good experience with one of their replacement radiators) - fair question to ask, I’d be happy with their assurance that they guarantee their product..... I’d be stunned if it didn’t outlast me :)  - you could always ring them to check.

I’d like one of increased capacity, but the cost-difference (the last time I looked) was more than I expected, could have changed though.

..... Andy 

• 2 weeks later...

I fitted an enlarged Alloy tank about 5 years ago and have not had any issues and the extra capacity is much appreciated. Whilst my source no longer makes them (he was rather good) Rich, who is in this email chain, has an excellent source so do message him.

R

7 hours ago, Parkerscottages said:

I fitted an enlarged Alloy tank about 5 years ago and have not had any issues and the extra capacity is much appreciated. Whilst my source no longer makes them (he was rather good) Rich, who is in this email chain, has an excellent source so do message him.

R

Rich  - thanks for your comments - Andy has already been in touch so watch this space !

Cheers Rich