A Moment of Whimsy

Hi Folks,

at the start of this plague confinement I decided to replace the top crash pad on the 4A. 

In general the old one was in good condition but the ends were starting to cur up. I found the problem but still fitted the new top.

I also re-cover the lefthand grab handle and fitted a new righthand pad - not sure why I didn't re-cover that as that is the easiest to cover.

Anyway when that was done I attempted to sort out the rats nest of wires behind the dash. That work fairly well but it will always be a rats nest.

Then I had a sudden attack of whimsy :o. The centre console with the choke knob etc looked quite tatty. It was tatty twenty odd years ago when I fitted in the rebuild.

So what to make one out of. I was thinking of milling it out of Ali and then getting it black anodised. But the cost of the Ali was a bot steep for a silly prank.

It had to be Manogamy. I have some nice lumps collected over the years.  It quite a while to finish it and there were casualties on the way; but I got there.

I think it looks OK. It doesn't match the Burr Walnut or anything else on the car - perfect.:P

Roger

DSC_4784a.jpg

DSC_4787a.jpg

Hi Rodger looking very nice, if you don’t mind me asking what do the switches do in the ash tray and left hand side of the centre console.

how are you getting on with you blue 4a or is that on the back burner at the moment.

Mike Redrose Group 

2 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Folks,

at the start of this plague confinement I decided to replace the top crash pad on the 4A. 

In general the old one was in good condition but the ends were starting to cur up. I found the problem but still fitted the new top.

I also re-cover the lefthand grab handle and fitted a new righthand pad - not sure why I didn't re-cover that as that is the easiest to cover.

Anyway when that was done I attempted to sort out the rats nest of wires behind the dash. That work fairly well but it will always be a rats nest.

Then I had a sudden attack of whimsy :o. The centre console with the choke knob etc looked quite tatty. It was tatty twenty odd years ago when I fitted in the rebuild.

So what to make one out of. I was thinking of milling it out of Ali and then getting it black anodised. But the cost of the Ali was a bot steep for a silly prank.

It had to be Manogamy. I have some nice lumps collected over the years.  It quite a while to finish it and there were casualties on the way; but I got there.

I think it looks OK. It doesn't match the Burr Walnut or anything else on the car - perfect.:P

Roger

DSC_4784a.jpg

DSC_4787a.jpg

2 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Folks,

Roger

DSC_4784a.jpg

DSC_4787a.jpg

Thats outrageously  Geronimo young Man. Take extra care you bunch of Keys does no damage!

Hi Tim,

the dash is from TRShop back in 2018.

Hi MIke,

the black switch os for the hazard lights.

The lefthand switch is for F=fresh air for the carbs when in traffic jams. The righthand switch is the rad fan override.

On the centre console the left hand silvery thing is for 2 x red led brake light repeater to tell when/if the bulbs blow.

The black button next to it is the screen washer.

Roger

Edited by RogerH
7 hours ago, brenda said:

Hi Rodger looking very nice, if you don’t mind me asking what do the switches do in the ash tray and left hand side of the centre console.

how are you getting on with you blue 4a or is that on the back burner at the moment.

Mike Redrose Group 

Hi Mike,

the Blue Racer TR4 is still sleeping in the other garage.

When I have finished playing with the 4A I shall get it out and TRy and finish it this year. or may be next.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Not a bad idea to have a repeater for the LED brake lights Roger. They take so little current that if one blows you would never notice it from the ammeter reading. I fitted my high level LED brake light so as to allow a little reflection from the rear screen as a tell tale that it was operating

Tim 

Hi Tim,

I still have filament brake light bulbs.  The LED's are in the repeater.

LED brake light bulbs could cause a problem for it as they draw so little current.  Still I'm sure there is an electronic answer to the problem

Roger

Hi Tim,

the Blue Racer will come out of hibernation very soon. 

There may an issue with the front left wing that could slow things down but hopefully I will be pushing for the Autumn as a possible finish.

Roger