TR6 Hood Frame Rebuild-help!

Hi I need help rebuilding the hood frame on my 6 unfortunately I didn't take notes/photos before dismantling it :( and now I need help and guidance on how to refit the Velcro. Has anyone got a step by step guide of how to rebuild the frame?

There is DVD from a Dr Doolin in Canada $29.95 but another $53.95 delivery anyone got a copy?

Edited by BobN

I'm doing this job right now, I'm also changing the seals and seal channels, I think Ed's site pretty much explains things, but all you have to remember is fold them back on themselves so the velcro faces out on the side of the frame and glue in place under where the seal channel goes and glue over the frame recess where the nuts for the channel goes and use clothes pegs or similar to hold while setting. 

Gareth

• 3 months later...
50 minutes ago, ed_h said:

I think I bought the correct size Velcro from NcMaster-Carr, but had to attach it to the vinyl strips myself.

Ed

How is that holding up Ed ?. I was a bit worried that the heat and wet would eventually break down the glue backing the velcro. I just ordered 25 yards of sew-on hook velcro from hook and loop . Com. My wife says she can make these strips in the same way the originals were made sewing two pieces of vinyl to the velcro.

Stan

You can buy them ready to go for pennies. Why mess about making them?

Increase the slot lengths that hold the side seals so that you can move them out further if they are not touching the top of the window. Do that before you paint the frame or put the velcro on. You'll thank me for it.

24 minutes ago, mtrehy said:

You can buy them ready to go for pennies. Why mess about making them?

Increase the slot lengths that hold the side seals so that you can move them out further if they are not touching the top of the window. Do that before you paint the frame or put the velcro on. You'll thank me for it.

Cant find a supplier here in the US that has strips with the correct velcro. Good point re the slots, I  will for sure check that before I glue on the velcro strips.

Stan

My wife made the velcro-vinyl strips for me. She kept both a bit wider and longer, so I had enough to fold the vinyl around metal. I glued with extra strong temperature resistant glue.

Waldi

3 hours ago, foster461 said:

How is that holding up Ed ?. I was a bit worried that the heat and wet would eventually break down the glue backing the velcro. I just ordered 25 yards of sew-on hook velcro from hook and loop . Com. My wife says she can make these strips in the same way the originals were made sewing two pieces of vinyl to the velcro.

Stan

They are holding up OK, though I've seen a little mnor separation of the glue joint.  If I were doing it again, I might sew it.

Ed

1 hour ago, ed_h said:

They are holding up OK, though I've seen a little mnor separation of the glue joint.  If I were doing it again, I might sew it.

Ed

Remember me if you go for a do over. In two days I will be the proud owner of 25 yards of 5/8" sew on hook and I will use about 50 inches of it. That is the same width that the factory used, 1/8" is consumed by the margins for sewing leaving half an inch of the hooked fabric exposed.

Stan

I think I got mine from TR Shop and they fitted fine, the point about elongating the holes for the channel is a very valid one as its rare to see any that fit right. Another problem with the fit of them is that certain hoods have an extra section down the rear of the window aperture that interferes with the rubber at the rear end.

Stuart.

DSC04573.JPG

DSC04574.JPG

Those look good Stuart and also seem to be made correctly with the velcro sewn to two pieces of vinyl. How about the foam wedge that Ed used to level off the rails at the front ?. Good idea ?. No sign of any foam on mine but I dont think it is the original top.

Stan

2 hours ago, foster461 said:

Those look good Stuart and also seem to be made correctly with the velcro sewn to two pieces of vinyl. How about the foam wedge that Ed used to level off the rails at the front ?. Good idea ?. No sign of any foam on mine but I dont think it is the original top.

Stan

There wasnt any sign on that one either and TBH because as you may have noticed the side rubbers went all the way to the header rail so giving a good seal and it didnt really make any difference to how the hood fitted as it came down far enough over for there to be no gap.

It never leaked in the rain!

Stuart.

IMG_8772.jpg