IS THIS GETTING A BIT SILLY OR WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Read an article about the Police berating a guy sitting in his own front garden and telling him he should get back in the house.

Some person being fined over £600 for not having what they considered to be a legitimate reason for having a travel ticket.

A guy got bollocked be the Police for buying a Terry's Choccy orange for his ageing Mum as a treat.

Finally Police checking your supermarket trolley for no -essential items their-in.

Yes, I get it, there are total brain dead morons going to the beach to sun bathe but the previous is a bit too much like certain Police forces having to be a bit more sympathetic. It goes totally against what Priti Patel is advocating

After all the french have decided that there needs to be a cull of all dogs because there is a ban on exercising your dog in france.

Culling some dogs would be an excellent idea according to some. Where did you get this info from. I'm unaware of it - and I live in France.

On the other hand a recruitment drive by the police amongst the morons on the beaches doesn't seem such a bad idea!!

james

I'm in regular contact with a British friend who lives in a village in southern Spain. Lockdown started 4 weeks ago in Spain.

There are police and army reserves guarding each road in/out of the village, no one leaves and no one visits the village apart from essential deliveries. He can only leave his apartment to go to the small local shop (like Spar or Londis here) for essentials. Police often ask to see a till receipt as he walks home with shopping, looking at time and date.

Our lockdown is soft by comparison. No doubt our police force make a few mistakes enforcing lockdown but our police are dealing with this gently compared to some countries.

We need to stay home and stop spreading this awful virus. For the minority that can't understand, police enforcement will protect the NHS, and the majority of the population who are abiding by the present restrictions.

Nigel

Read an article about the Police berating a guy sitting in his own front garden and telling him he should get back in the house.

Some person being fined over £600 for not having what they considered to be a legitimate reason for having a travel ticket.

A guy got bollocked be the Police for buying a Terry's Choccy orange for his ageing Mum as a treat.

Finally Police checking your supermarket trolley for no -essential items their-in.

Yes, I get it, there are total brain dead morons going to the beach to sun bathe but the previous is a bit too much like certain Police forces having to be a bit more sympathetic. It goes totally against what Priti Patel is advocating

After all the french have decided that there needs to be a cull of all dogs because there is a ban on exercising your dog in france.

Not sure which is the saddest - the fact that you quote unqualified commics as headlines or that you feel it appropriate to the share them with a classic car forum...

43 minutes ago, Chilliman said:

Not sure which is the saddest - the fact that you quote unqualified commics as headlines or that you feel it appropriate to the share them with a classic car forum...

Really.....was that necessary ?

This is the Social Scene section. Topics other than the cars can be talked about. 

Mr Chiiliman....act like your name sir , and bloody chill out.

I think it is all quite understandable, think of the timescales involved.

Virus hits, casualty numbers build in hospitals, optimistic predictions are dire, the pessimistic predictions unbelievable.

Action needed in the next hours, so the government announces a lockdown, crude but simple and quick. No time to get involved in the minutia of endless scenarios to be individually legislated. Government's time is spent on the bigger picture just need to get the population out of harms way until the fog clears and they can see what is happening. 

Over 120 thousand police all out trying their best to get the message over. There are libertarians out there arguing their inalienable right to wander about and party; but  we all need to accept things will be out of kilter for some time. However I believe that the  position of Northamptonshire Police Chief Constable needs to be considered as any official statements need to get the public on side not alienate them.

At the moment it is all both new, and thanks to the good weather, accepted by most people, but  if it starts to come unglued and run into many months then envisage your own disaster movie, so it's best that we all assist and stop the spread ASAP.

Hopefully Boris fully recovered and  back  and he will then have the authority and knowledge of having had a bad experience with the virus to keep everyone onside in a united course of action.

Alan

Edited by barkerwilliams

Current guidelines on dog walking in France as follows I believe:

"The confinement rules state that you are allowed to leave your property, within a radius of 1km from your home and within a time limit of one hour, to take exercise and/or to walk your dog.

The SPA advises that this 1 hour time limit can be split into three outings of 20 minutes, to allow your dog to go out more frequently if necessary."

The only possible "cull" is for dogs /  cats in rescue centres as re-homing of pets just now is banned so as animals come into these centres it may become a necessity to euthanise some amimals.

John

Firstly I think the situation we find ourselves in recently makes us a bit more reactive and issues that would have previously got little more than a raised eyebrow now warrant us to rush to our keyboards !

I’m guilty A chap posted on FB that he had extended a trip to collect his prescription to have a run in his car, I tried, politely I thought, to point out that this really wasn’t in the spirit of what we should be doing. In doing so I provoked him into giving me his frank thoughts on the matter, to which I replied in kind. Resulting in the post being pulled, all very hand bags at 3 paces and not like me at all.

But back to the point ‘ is this getting silly or what’ personally at the moment I would have to say no, even if all the points quoted are true you would have to balance those against all the public police transaction that do conform to the process and achieve their desired outcome. Sometimes the police get it wrong, and I’m sure somewhere there are police on a total power trip but there must be 100’s if not 1000’s of police public interactions every day but the ones that go as they should don’t make good column inches in the media.

Not disimiar to when there is a tragedy in the NHS it’s all over the news and for the families involved it’s terrible and shouldn’t be diminished but they never consider the 1000’s good outcomes again no story. 

just my opinion others are available 

stay well all 

Hey John (chilliman).

Really !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats the best you can do,

You either deliberately fail to see the point I was making or are too stupid to see it.

You made an assumption about an information source which actually says more about you than me.

You have the whole rest of your life to be  an ass**** so why not take this weekend off.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you had read any of my other posts about recent events in my life you would not make such a comment,

SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 hours ago, AndrewMAshton said:

I broke the 'rules' tonight, lovely evening, granddaughter staying so wife happy to let me off the lead, took the Triumph out, 60 mins of fun on quiet roads, passed one police car, what risk to me and the general public, didn't stop, didn't get out of the car till I got back.  Minimal risk to 80% of the population, why are we saddling future generations with a huge debt?  Cheers, Andrew  

Hi Andrew,

we would  all like to do that for an hour, probobly keep us a bit saner for a little while longer, but what harm you could do, makes your actions irresponsible in my book.

The question, surely isn't who you have or have not infected by your actions, but who might be encouraged to break the rules by your, seemingly getting away with breaking the rules?

You get a dislike from me sorry, you should have thought twice.

John.

1 hour ago, John Morrison said:

Hi Andrew,

we would  all like to do that for an hour, probobly keep us a bit saner for a little while longer, but what harm you could do, makes your actions irresponsible in my book.

The question, surely isn't who you have or have not infected by your actions, but who might be encouraged to break the rules by your, seemingly getting away with breaking the rules?

You get a dislike from me sorry, you should have thought twice.

John.

John spot on one person going for a drive, one person sitting in a park,  one person sitting on their front step absolutely no problem but it sets the precedent that everybody can do the same thing and before we know it there is no lock down.  

I’d like to say something, John (chilliman) made a comment basically critical of Robr post or the fact that he made it. 

Robr post might have been construed as being critical of the police. Chilliman has been  for the best part of his life a police officer.

Latterly he has been dealing with unforeseen death of people from very young to the elderly. Often seeing what is not the best side of society. 

Police see and deal with that a lot, while attempting to keep people safe. Like the NHS staff sometimes to their own detriment and very occasionally pay the alternate price.

So perhaps John who is generally a very pleasant individual,  felt Robr was being unnecessarily critical of the police, and took exception to it at this time and posted that. Just as Robr and others have taken exception to Johns (chilliman) Post. 

We are generally reasonable pleasant and friendly individuals, could we all Chill in these stressful times. Having had time to reconsider the wording within our posts and even consider edit them. 

Edited by Derek Hurford
6 minutes ago, Graham said:

and before we know it there is no lock down.  

The sooner that happens the better. The thing is a knee-jerk response which has not been thought through. After three weeks and counting of economic and social mayhem we now have a population which is just as vulnerable as before. All that has been achieved is the postponement of a few deaths which are going to happen anyway in due course because the virus is still out there waiting. Far better to have followed the Swedish model in my opinion. 

We have a population which is terrified because of the fixation of the media with their doom and gloom stories and headlines of the daily death toll. Actually that number is unimportant. Tragic, but unimportant. We have to grow up and accept that fact.

The only number that matters is the number of people who have been infected and who have recovered  - and because of the lockdown that number for the UK is now lower than it should be. With no cure in sight the only way out of this mess is the 'herd immunity' approach and the longer that is delayed the worse and longer lasting the economic effect will be for the millions who have lost, or will lose, their livelihoods.

This is NOT the plague. 99%  of people are NOT going to die of it.

I am sorry if this all upsets some people but the truth is often unpalatable. 

Rob

You make a good point, one I guess are all aware of, but this is not going to end quickly and this virus will be around for months possibly (probably) years.

It’s clear the Government are not trying to eliminate it, but reduce the spread over a longer period. Giving the NHS time so they can deal with those that are acceptable to it and in particular those that effected worse,  doing that will help save lives until we can get the appropriate medicines and equipment in place, that’s it.

Even  though it’s been clear over decades that we are all at risk of an  epidemic, there  has been a lack of preparation by all Governments so that’s all they can do.

It is especially pertinent now as the ability to travel is at the highest it’s ever been. Lesson can be learned,  whether heeded to is another thing and only time will tell. In the meantime we do need to play our part and make our own choices.

Going for a drive in the TR, what harm can it do?

I don't think it is prohibited for the risk of passing on Coronavirus, but for every car on the road there is a greater risk of a car accident. A percentage of accidents warrant a  police response, maybe an ambulance maybe a hospital trip is needed and that puts a strain on the NHS resources - and who would think a hospital trip to be a good thing in these times? Venturing out in your classic also sends a message out to others that the rules don't apply to you.

Probably the same reasoning to shut DIY stores and reduce domestic accidents.

But I really ache to try out my rebuilt engine but for the greater good I have curbed by irresponsible urges.,I'm no Saint, just doing my little bit to help.

Alan

10 minutes ago, barkerwilliams said:

Going for a drive in the TR, what harm can it do?

I don't think it is prohibited for the risk of passing on Coronavirus, but for every car on the road there is a greater risk of a car accident. A percentage of accidents warrant a  police response, maybe an ambulance maybe a hospital trip is needed and that puts a strain on the NHS resources - and who would think a hospital trip to be a good thing in these times? Venturing out in your classic also sends a message out to others that the rules don't apply to you.

Probably the same reasoning to shut DIY stores and reduce domestic accidents.

But I really ache to try out my rebuilt engine but for the greater good I have curbed by irresponsible urges.,I'm no Saint, just doing my little bit to help.

Alan

Good god man......"irresponsible urges"......go have a cold shower and lie down in a dark room.

5 hours ago, foster461 said:

I have a 100ft driveway, I'm thinking I may be able to get a TR into second gear before I run out of runway.

Hmm, keeping 2m apart you could have maybe 5 TRs on that drive and still be selfisolating, we’ll be round in a bit!

Edited by Steves_TR6
12 hours ago, RobH said:

The sooner that happens the better. The thing is a knee-jerk response which has not been thought through. After three weeks and counting of economic and social mayhem we now have a population which is just as vulnerable as before. All that has been achieved is the postponement of a few deaths which are going to happen anyway in due course because the virus is still out there waiting. Far better to have followed the Swedish model in my opinion. 

We have a population which is terrified because of the fixation of the media with their doom and gloom stories and headlines of the daily death toll. Actually that number is unimportant. Tragic, but unimportant. We have to grow up and accept that fact.

The only number that matters is the number of people who have been infected and who have recovered  - and because of the lockdown that number for the UK is now lower than it should be. With no cure in sight the only way out of this mess is the 'herd immunity' approach and the longer that is delayed the worse and longer lasting the economic effect will be for the millions who have lost, or will lose, their livelihoods.

This is NOT the plague. 99%  of people are NOT going to die of it.

I am sorry if this all upsets some people but the truth is often unpalatable. 

Herd immunity may work as a side-effect of a vaccination strategy and if the immunisation coverage is above 60%. Mind you, the "herd" is a 7 billion strong bunch potentially catching one or more of the thousands sub-strains the virus has already mutated into, so good luck with "managing" any form of herd immunity. Before you know it 50% of the members of this forum being elderly and/or immunocompromised had already been whipped out. 

Edited by Geko
spell
13 minutes ago, Geko said:

Before you know it 50% of the members of this forum being elderly and/or immunocompromised had already been whipped out. 

Making with those negative vibes again.  

The rate for the elderly is indeed a bit higher than average but is not anything like 50% until you get to the really old or really sick, all of whom can continue to isolate themselves. There is no reason to lock everyone else up too when many may not even have any symptoms if they catch it. 

Edited by RobH