Saloon J type gearbox in TR250

Hi,

The overdrive gearbox I bought a few years ago turns out to be from  a saloon.

I can use a Dolomite sprint clutch plate for the input which should be man enough.

Is it easy to swop the output flange off from the old non overdrive gearbox to the overdrive box?

Also the gear lever is a couple of inches longer so I was going to swop them. The saloon gearbox lever is easy to take off, remove a bolt and twist the cover. The TR box has a threaded bar which needs to come out. It is very rusty, does this screw out or is it a push fit?

Many thanks

Eddie.

PS the pin holding the release fork to the cross shaft has sheared in both boxes so I need to cut the s haft and try and salvage the fork.

Eddie

I have a J type saloon overdrive box in my late 1972 TR6 the box is dated 1975. Swapping the gear stick was not a problem you just have to be careful getting the anti rattle spring and pellet in place which is a bit fiddly. As for the pin that you speak of I have no idea on that but I expect someone with more knowledge will post shortly 

The drive flange as you say has a different spline arrangement and also the hole centres are different,  I had a local machine shop drill an extra set of holes to match the TR propshaft flange, another solution may be to investigate whether a saloon propshaft flange could be fitted to your TR propshaft,

The clutch plate that I use is listed as GT6 but no doubt it is the same item as a Dolomite

George 

deleted

Saloon propshaft flange will not fit TR propshaft - different sized UJ

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
Attempt to delete pointless attachment

Hi,

Have had a good day.

Have drilled the flange using the TR one as a template. The bit was marginally smaller than the holes in the TR flange but 3/8 bolts just fit, almost a push fit Also found all 6  small manifold clamps which were missing, I had checked on Moss's site and they were £8 each.

Hopefully will have the car ready for MOT when the shutdown ends and I can get a UK registration.

Thanks

Eddie

Eddie,

I had to have the saloon flange machined slightly as there is a raised area on the propshaft flange to help with location. 

Graeme

1 hour ago, Lebro said:

Eddie.

My flange was from a TR3, maybe they are different on a 6 ?

Bob.

Do you have a J type overdrive?  I always thought the splined output on them was not as coarse  as the  A type and standard output shaft.

Cheers

Peter W

• 4 months later...

Hi Eddie, 

The input shaft in the dolomite gearbox is longer than that in a TR250 gearbox.

Question: Did you have to cut down the tip of the input shaft of the dolomite to match the length of the TR250 input shaft in order to mate the dolomite gearbox to the TR engine?

question: did you use the clutch releasing bearing sleeve of a dolomite or of the TR250 to get the dolomite gearbox clutch to work with the  TR engine.  The clutch releasing sleeve of a dolomite is much longer than that of the TR250?

question: beside having to use the dolomite or a GT6 clutch plate, what other things have to be done to mate a dolomite gearbox to a TR250?

Looking forward to hear from your experience. Cheers, Harry

Hi Harry,

i don't know if the gearbox is dolomite or another saloon/car but from memory the input shaft was the same length but smaller diameter and finer splines.The end of the shaft fitted the bearing in the flywheel/crank.

i have GT6/Dolomite clutch, TR250/TR6 pressure plate and release bearing.

Apart from drilling the gearbox output flange to match the prop I have everything else as TR250 except converted to RHD. The output flange still needs minor machining to fit over the spigot on the propshaft flange. My intention was to get an MOT first and then carry on with work as I applied for a UK  registration.

Everything has gone together OK , ie gearbox in but I had a good offer to respray so I haven't connected the hydraulics yet to see if it works.

When it comes back I will connect up and let you know.

Regards

Eddie

FWIW I fitted a saloon box to my TR3, input shaft same length, & fitted the flywheel, but needed different clutch to match the splines.

I drilled the flywheel to take a GT6 complete clutch, & swapped the output flange for the old TR one.

Bob