Back light glass

Hi all

I need to remove the glass in the back light so I can repaint and re- trim has anyone tips on how to remove with out cutting the rubber ?

also what would have been the original colour of the vinyl used at the moment mines black 

Chris

I hope you all are well and safe

21 minutes ago, trchris said:

Hi all

I need to remove the glass in the back light so I can repaint and re- trim has anyone tips on how to remove with out cutting the rubber ?

also what would have been the original colour of the vinyl used at the moment mines black 

Chris

I hope you all are well and safe

Hi Chris

You shouldn’t need to cut the rubber to remove the screen unless it’s gone really hard. Usually something like washing up liquid or WD40, remove the chrome finisher, and then gently prise the glass from the rubber using narrow wallpaper scraping blades for instance or prise it complete with the rubber from the backlight. You can buy new rubbers which is recommended. Go easy with the screen with not too much leverage at a time as they are expensive !

Aa far as I know the factory colour of the lining was white, mine is white, but which shade of white might be your preference !

Kevin

Edited by boxofbits

If you do end up needing a new rubber then get it from Moss as theirs are the only ones that are the right length, you will find that its longer than the outer edge of the glass, it needs to be like that, place the excess at each lower corner making sure you have the same each side then when fitted the rubber will go all the way down into the corners properly, other makes dont and you will end up with a gap, also fit the finisher into the rubber before final fitting.

Stuart.

17 hours ago, boxofbits said:

I think mine was a Moss rubber which generally fitted well, except for a slight crease in the lower offside corner on the sharp internal bend. The n/s is fine.

Any ideas if and how to eliminate this?

Kevin

3A7D0C4B-F224-4466-9475-59FC32EEDA1C.jpeg

FB184AB7-8927-4A29-9FEB-DAEEC4ECF4FA.jpeg

At a guess I dont think you quite centralised the rubber when fitting so you have just a tad too much in that corner, You could slit a small "V" out with a razor blade and then stick the slit edges together with superglue, just be very careful with superglue on glass.. Another way would be with some Sikaflex (The type they use for bonded windscreens) and stick the cut edges with that as you can smooth over any that squeezes through the cut and once cured it looks just like the rubber anyway.

Stuart.

When I replaced my backlight screen (bought from Moss, London) it was recommended by TRGB that I purchased two TR6 front screen rubbers and fitted them in two halves on the back (with some trimming of course).  It worked very well and made fitting much easier for the professional that I paid to do the job.  The joints are not noticable at all.

Incidentally, if purchasing a new screen from Moss the cost is almost doubled by package and posting due to the nature of the item.  They are based just off the M25 so I ordered mine to coincide with a trip abroad and picked up the glass on the way home from Gatwick.  Obviously not an option at this time but, if time and distance is not a problem, it's worth a visit.

Bob

On 4/13/2020 at 10:10 AM, stuart said:

At a guess I dont think you quite centralised the rubber when fitting so you have just a tad too much in that corner, You could slit a small "V" out with a razor blade and then stick the slit edges together with superglue, just be very careful with superglue on glass.. Another way would be with some Sikaflex (The type they use for bonded windscreens) and stick the cut edges with that as you can smooth over any that squeezes through the cut and once cured it looks just like the rubber anyway.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart I’ll try that and hopefully that will do the trick.

regards

Kevin

It looks like a sticky type of sealant was applied to the rubber/glass interface. If this was done before fitting to the frame it may well have prevented the relaxation of residual stresses in the seal. I never have used any sealant in mine ( no leaks in 26 years ) but have considered doing so after fitting the glass to the frame. Also, when fitting I have always used copious amounts of rubber preservative, a very slippery agent which allows the stresses to dissipate.

The trim is also buckled, signifying a small radius. The early anodized alloy trim is sorely missed! ( I did get some for my concourse car though ^_^ ).

Tom

CD8315L9-6-8 024.jpg

Edited by Tom Fremont