Hello All,

What, if any would be a problem with using a standard TR6 wheel as a spare when a set of after market alloys are fitted, Minilites for example? I'm thinking along a similar idea as the modern space-saving wheel, alright for "X" amount of miles until a repair is made.

Richard.

I stopped carrying a spare wheel...instead have a rep kit in the trunk...

But if you insist it would be helpfull to have at least the same tire size on your spare as on the other 4.

Jochem

Edited by JochemsTR

I may stand corrected here, but there is no problem using a steel spare with an alloy on a car, providing the tyre size is the same.

Illegalities come into play with differing tyre sizes on an axle.

Lots of discussions here on this, just do a search.

John.

Hi Richard

When I bought a set of genuine Minilites last year I kept one of the replica Minilites I was replacing as a spare. I sold the other 3 to local members with alloys and no spare. May be worth asking around, should be possible to find one. Obviously much lighter to carry around. 

All the Best 

Cameron

7 minutes ago, Cameron said:

Hi Richard

When I bought a set of genuine Minilites last year I kept one of the replica Minilites I was replacing as a spare. I sold the other 3 to local members with alloys and no spare. May be worth asking around, should be possible to find one. Obviously much lighter to carry around. 

All the Best 

Cameron

Good thinking, I just might do that!

Richard.

4 hours ago, Richard71 said:

Hello All,

What, if any would be a problem with using a standard TR6 wheel as a spare when a set of after market alloys are fitted, Minilites for example? I'm thinking along a similar idea as the modern space-saving wheel, alright for "X" amount of miles until a repair is made.

Richard.

Hi Richard,

The "similar to a space saver wheel" can very possibly get you in trouble. Unless you are Triumph (I guess you aren't ?) YOU can't decide an odd sized wheel is suitable as a space saver.

These days the car manufacturer (Triumph expired long before this came in) has to submit to whole vehicle type approval where ALL the vehicle technical details are logged engine, gearbox, rear axle engine emissions (didn't exist for Triumph) exhaust used (emissions again) etc, etc are listed and the vehicles made to the same specification time after time after time etc etc. This is in case of a catastrophic accident there is confirmation of the responsibility and equipment used to allow huge fines to be imposed upon the party fitting the non complying equipment. 

If a space saver smaller or different wheel and tyre are allowed by the manufacturer they have to submit the vehicle for testing (Triumph will struggle here) to ensure the differing wheel and tyre arrangement will meet the minimum speed, braking and tyre adhesion (space savers being a different width dimension and often different overall diameter within 4 or 5mm and normally have a "stickier" tyre compound supplied to compensate  (which wears quickly hence a short lifespan for the wheel and tyre).

If you hope not to come under these rules (and you won't because Triumph never submitted any vehicle for WVTA testing) then you come under UK Construction and Use regulations (C&U) which specify that wheels and tyres on either side of the axle /car are of the same dimensions and tyre equipment. This means you will get away with a different wheel manufacture or type on any corner as long as dimensions are the same as the other fitted wheel, and also a different Tyre manufacturer again as long as the tyre is the same design (not a mix of radial or crossply) and sizes. If you fit and use a non complying wheel and tyre on one corner of the car the comeback in the event of an accident could be very messy, insurance companies not being best pleased at being exposed to a risk not disclosed and contravening C&U regs (because the opposing insurance company will jump on this). The aforementioned C&U regs do allow the fitment of a space saver wheel and tyre which is where the circle is neatly closed because they cannot be confirmed as being a space saver wheel and tyre unless specified and the testing met by the car manufacturer (Triumph) which again would not be the case. Be careful.

Mick Richards          

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

We already discussed a small emergency wheel here and I have been told this is a bad idea.

But I know some guys use them from the Volvo V40 / S40 Mk1, I use sealant and a compressor because - what to do with big the flat wheel?

1 hour ago, Eddie Trickett said:

Hi,

The AA states that the law makes an exception for temporary use spare  tyres to be used in an emergency.

Eddie

Eddie,

Agreed, but only when specified by the car Manufacturer.

Imagine being stranded at the roadside but on your TR4 with 15" wheels  you happen to have a TR7 13" wheel and tyre laying in the back and decide to use it as a "space saver temporary spare wheel", do you think that would be safe ? of course not. The aforementioned space saver has to meet the correct legal requirements.

The AA information is broad spectrum covering modern cars and equipment not ours. 

Pay particular note to

Annex 3 Braking and deviation testing in use.

2.4 Temporary use definitions
3.1 Application for Approval as a Temporary Use Spare Wheel

Temporary Use Spare Wheel legal information.pdf

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey