New Member Showing His Face!

Hello all! 

I hope your all reading this in the safety of your homes! 

Just thought id drop something on here to show my face, I am a new member and very new to the classic British car scene. (Usually found with VW's or very modern British Cars.) 

I have a 1972 TR6 and am currently just going through the car slowly as she needed a little TLC when we collected her, but thought id join up and hope when I get stuck I might be able to bug some of you for help! 

Ive attached a picture of the old girl from the day we collected her too, in case anyone around the Birmingham/Warwickshire area ever sees us around when this Covid-19 crisis passes! 

Loo forward to getting to know you all! Padi. 

thumbnail_IMG_7668.jpg

Welcome to the club, ...oh I don’t think you have “an old girl” more in the line of a “ hot young chick. !

Mick Richards

Welcome to the club Padi. Your TR6 looks very smart. I hope this pandemic is over soon so you get a chance to drive it in some good weather.

Mick Forey

1 hour ago, Padi said:

Hello all! 

Just thought id drop something on here to show my face, I am a new member and very new to the classic British car scene. (Usually found with VW's or very modern British Cars.) 

I have a 1972 TR6 and am currently just going through the car slowly as she needed a little TLC when we collected her, but thought id join up and hope when I get stuck I might be able to bug some of you for help! 

Ive attached a picture of the old girl from the day we collected her too, in case anyone around the Birmingham/Warwickshire area ever sees us around when this Covid-19 crisis passes! 

thumbnail_IMG_7668.jpg

Hi

Do you know what's under the bonnet?

Matching numbers engine?

PI or carbs?

Standard or modified?

Any info will help the numerous gurus' here, help you.

There is an enourmous amount of information and experience on here, I doubt there is a question you could ask, to which you cannot get an answer

31 minutes ago, wjgco said:

Hi

Do you know what's under the bonnet?

Matching numbers engine?

PI or carbs?

Standard or modified?

Any info will help the numerous gurus' here, help you.

There is an enourmous amount of information and experience on here, I doubt there is a question you could ask, to which you cannot get an answer

Thank you for the warm welcome guys :)

John, I dont have a great deal of info ill be honest! Shes fuel injected, I belive the engine is matching numbers, but I havent managed to get under her yet to check the trans and diff. (Thats a job for next week) And so far she is completely standard.. I think from reading through the paperwork that came with her the previous owner had modified the ignition system then reverted back to original after the issue they were finding was not fixed... turned out to be imbalanced throttles with a fair bit of wear on them too.. 

Welcome to the club Padi. You have a lovely looking car there. She looks vey well sorted. I have a 1974 TR6 which I completely restored over 5 years. She's been "finished" (never) now for just over a year.

Another welcome Padi - do I spy TRGB's front door in your first photo? I wonder if that is where you got the car? 

It looks like you have a nice solid base of a car to really get into TR motoring and then progressively tinker/improve it over time and as funds permit - you say it needs a little TLC and mentioned there had been some apparent issues over the ignition system, and the throttle balance but what else are you thinking needs looking at?

I really recommend you get a Heritage Certificate if you haven't already got one from the British Motor Museum  ( https://www.britishmotormuseum.co.uk/archive/heritage-certificates ) but it appears there may be some issues re Covid at the moment - that will at least tell you the spec the car left the factory in and the engine and chassis numbers. Have you got overdrive ?

Show us lots of photos when you get the chance - happy TRing

Cheers  Rich 

Welcome Padi, 

You mentioned the TR6 needs some TLC and you may need to bug help, you have come to the right place here and at your local group.

Forgive me for mentioning that the TR Register have there own Insurance scheme “TR Register Insurance scheme with specific benefits and discounts negotiated for members. I don’t know if it will suit you but you might like to give them a call at renewal. Details can be found in the TRaction our excellent club magazine. 

Edited by Derek Hurford
On 4/9/2020 at 8:54 PM, rcreweread said:

Another welcome Padi - do I spy TRGB's front door in your first photo? I wonder if that is where you got the car? 

It looks like you have a nice solid base of a car to really get into TR motoring and then progressively tinker/improve it over time and as funds permit - you say it needs a little TLC and mentioned there had been some apparent issues over the ignition system, and the throttle balance but what else are you thinking needs looking at?

I really recommend you get a Heritage Certificate if you haven't already got one from the British Motor Museum  ( https://www.britishmotormuseum.co.uk/archive/heritage-certificates ) but it appears there may be some issues re Covid at the moment - that will at least tell you the spec the car left the factory in and the engine and chassis numbers. Have you got overdrive ?

Show us lots of photos when you get the chance - happy TRing

Cheers  Rich 

Thank you all again for a warm welcome! :)

Rich, Thanks for the heads up regarding the heritage certificate! I work next door the the motor museum and have been there many times but didn't realize they did this! 

Well while addressing the intake balancing, I found the bush's on the throttle linkage shaft one had completely gone, and the other two were well on the way to crumbling into dust so that was addressed too. 

Next on my list is a blowing exhaust, and a radiator that looks to be filled with rust, it seems to have been left standing for a long long time.  When sat at idle balancing the throttles the temp gauge was a little higher than I would expect to see, which then made me open the rad to find that.. 

Parts are all ordered tho, so new rad and thermostat on the way, and a new Stainless steel standard exhaust system as the current one looks to be extremely corroded. 

Once those bits are done im on to the brakes, sometimes there's a pedal instantly, other times you have to pump it up to get something, not the most confidence inspiring thing to happen! going to start with just bleeding them and see what I find, but if anyone has any pointers what to look for in the system that can fail? Ill be checking for leaks around all the joints, and the caliper pistons while I bleed around. 

Can anyone recommend me the correct coolant and brake fluid for these? Or am I better asking in the TR6 technical area? 

On 4/10/2020 at 8:53 AM, Derek Hurford said:

Welcome Padi, 

You mentioned the TR6 needs some TLC and you may need to bug help, you have come to the right place here and at your local group.

Forgive me for mentioning that the TR Register have there own Insurance scheme “TR Register Insurance scheme with specific benefits and discounts negotiated for members. I don’t know if it will suit you but you might like to give them a call at renewal. Details can be found in the TRaction our excellent club magazine. 

Thanks Derek, Ive registered for the TR Youth Group on  Friday and will defiantly look into this for next years renewal! 

Again Thank you all for the warm welcome! it seems the most friendly forum I've ever used! 

On 4/9/2020 at 3:33 PM, Padi said:

Hello all! 

thumbnail_IMG_7668.jpg

Welcome along Padi, great looking 6. Plenty of time to enjoy it in the future.

Morning Padi, another welcome to the Register and the Forum from me.

Sounds like you are cracking on with to do jobs, and are competent in that area too.

Best of luck,  and no doubt start seeing you at TR Events, once we are back to some sort of normality. 

Conrad.

Welcome to the forum/club.

Sounds like you know your way round a classic, and TR6's are great for the home enthusiast, great parts availability and plenty of help available. 

Enjoy the tinkering and eventually driving it around properly. 

Gareth