Fake NGK Spark Plugs

Hi All

I am trying to find a reliable supplier of NGK BUR6ET plugs. There seems to be an ever increasing number of fakes turning up even from some well known retailers. I may be kidding myself, but I wondered if this particular plug is less likely to be faked due to its more limited demand and extra complexity in manufacture. 

If anyone has a reliable source, I would be grateful,

Thanks

Cameron  

Hi Cameron,

are they fake or simply 'modern'

Modern engines run very lean and the plugs are engineered down to this level - the ceramic coating appears to be less than many years ago.

The TR engine (4 or 6 pot) tends to be wet. This can penetrate the ceramic and the plug fails early.

I used NGK on my 4A up to 2017. They were failing after about 1000 miles.

I changed to Champion L87 and all seemed much better for longer.

Roger

Hi Cameron ~

I also had bad experiences with NGK plugs. They may well have been inferior Chinese reproductions?

When I worked in the Triumph garage in 1959 I bought four Champion L10 plugs for my father's Vauxhall Wyvern. 

These were never used. I found them in my garage a few years ago, still in their boxes. They are now fitted in my 3A.

Best regards ~

Tom.

Edited by Fireman049

There have been many reports of fake NGKs over many years. NGK have reputely put a lot of effort into stamping it out and is thought to be less of an issue these days but still goes on. Had a few on the 7 (long gone) and stopped buying them on eBay apart from known trusted retailers like the one below. Had the same on the Stag and changing 8 plugs is a pain in the behind.

I've used the Green Spark Co and not has fakes from them.

1 hour ago, Cameron said:

They certainly have because the some of the fakes have numbers stamped on the hex nut. 

Probably because that link I posted is from 2006 so they've had plenty of time to up their game,

One thing that I have found is to use old plugs for any first start on freshly rebuilt engines as brand new NGK don't like getting wet with over fuelling. They're fine once youve got the engine to run for a bit.

Stuart.

I will NEVER use the Green Spark Co again.Sold me a rotor arm

(for an L series Vauxhall) which packed up within 5 miles.

When I rang to request a replacement, the owner scoffed that it

was almost impossible for such a basic component to fail.He'd sold

loads with no problems.'It's a piece of plastic and a lump of brass, what could possibly

go wrong?' (with that 'you bloody idiot' sort of tone) However, they reluctantly sent a replacement.

I asked whether he'd like the 'old' one returned for investigation but he wasn't interested.What could

it tell him?

Fitted the 'new' one immediately and that, too, failed within 5 miles.

I refitted the old Lucas rotor (which I had been getting very skilled at) and have had no problems.

I received an unsolicited package some months later from the GSP Co enclosing  yet another rotor

arm with a note to say they had been experiencing some problems with this component

and would I like to try this new one?

The damage had been done as far as I'm concerned and I'm afraid it went straight into the bin.

These components are available from other sources fortunately.

I'm sure others have experienced nothing but First Class care and attention from this company,

but my experience has been less than edifying.

Roger M-E

Distributor Doctor is the only supplier to use for rotor arms. He is an honest supplier and has carried out a lot of research. He is also good at condensers. He overhauled my distributor and found that the last company had fitted the wrong springs and weights about 20 years ago. DD can be trusted.

I understood that the workers at NGK were stealing the boxes and having the plugs made in private workshops with no quality testing.  It would be quite hard to stop that kind of cheating. 

I went to Green spark plug co. and bought Nippon Denso for my 3A. They are very expensive but improved the running and starting. After the first start I do not need the choke again.

Richard & B.

Roger,

You said that he claimed :

"He'd sold loads with no problems."

I really HATE that attitude.
I’ve had it several times in my life from different companies and it always means “ We have probably sold loads of **** stuff, but most people don’t bother to complain.”

I had it from Halfords a year of so back.
I bought the roughest valve-grinding tool you have ever seen.
(A simple wooden stick with suckers on the end.)
When I took it back for a refund the girl on the desk said:

“We sell loads of these and no one has ever complained before.”

Urmmm…
Halfords sell loads of valve grinding tools?
Yes.. Of course there are loads of people that grind their own valves these days.

I have run several small companies in my life and have always held the belief that:
“The customer is always right!”
Yes, sometimes the customer was a total idiot, and I knew he was wrong, but I always apologized and gave them their money back.

It gets you repeat business eventually

I have never heard a bad word about the DD.
(If anyone has, please let us know.)

Charlie.