Completion update - New trunnion lock washer frustration

4 hours ago, Lebro said:

Great footage Hamish, engine sounds wonderful. What revs were you going up to ?

Bob.

Hi Bob in competition like this where its very short bursts i use 6k as on a hill like this the gear changes really sap the momentum so going higher before the change means the next gear is Still on power.

4 hours ago, Tony_C said:

Brilliant Hamish, well done you, all looks and sounds fantastic!........... 

Does some of that track look to narrow in real life the faster you go? Or, is it just me (I know I am) getting older?

Hi Tony

its certainly not a course where you really have to pick a line - you just head up the middle and hope you still have grip and yes it is as narrow as it looks.the esses were a little damp and caught me out on the first run.

check out the single seaters on youtube there is one guy where he captions his speed and its 147MPH on the esses approach and 145mph over the line.

I'm doing 66mph in the same places !!! they really don't have time to think !

tried some videoing today on a road trip to use up some fuel before shelsely on saturday. if i can manage it ill post a sedate road trip.

H

5 hours ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Well done Hamish, much cleaner second run with no lift at the first left as on the first run...takes me back, good stuff.

Mick Richards

Much Praise indeed Mick Thank you, the first run was just practice !!!

5 hours ago, BRENDA1 said:

Well done all that work you have done looks like it is working for you, keep up the good runs. If they were allowing spectators we would of had a day out but looks like it will have to hang on till next year. We had a weekend at The Court House on site but there was no racing on but had a good look round and a walk up the hill.

Mike Redrose Group 

Hi Mike 

its a pity spectators can't be there to join in at the moment, we will have to have a REDROSE group run out to an event next year.

i didn't walk the hill ----- its was too steep for me !

5 hours ago, Ian Vincent said:

Nicely done Hamish. Shame the sound wasn’t as good on your second run but it looked smoother. 

Rgds Ian

Hi Ian

the sound was poor as the mic got soaking wet in thunder storms of biblical proportions you could have surfed down the hill at one point.

Hi Hamish

Excellent stuff and a hell of a lot of work I'd imagine.

Out of interest you said you got more self-centring. I know my TR4a has hardly any Castor as standard, probably about 1/2 degree, and the camber about 1 degree negative. There is some self centring on these cars but not that much I don't think.

Your guage showed 1.6 degrees. Couldn't see a minus sign but presume not positive so wondered what you set it at, at ride height? Sounds like springs were fairly stiff so doubt camber change fluctuation due to altered arms would have mattered too much, and looks from the superb video that it was fairly well balanced on the bends, apart from a little twitch of oversteer on the second bend which I presume was due to a damp track?

Great work and pity no spectators allowed!

Kevin

Hi Kevin

i had to mess with the adjustable fulcrums a lot and as I wanted the car to be on the sprint track side of the set up range (as opposed to road) and after seeing the tyre lean in corners in competition, I went for a higher camber Rates at approx 1.5 /1.6 neg.

i also run the front wheels parallel rather than toe in etc.

the castor i thought was nearer 3degrees  with the 4a trunnions.

i shimmed the top ball joint so that there was no resistance on the upright. 
im fully expecting extra tyre wear on the road due to these settings but it does seem to handle ok goes in a straight line well, doesn’t jump around much on rough lanes (despite the 420lb front springs)

The real test for me will be Sunday when I do Curborough fig of 8 sprint as I have done a few of these and enjoy it.