Hi all,

I'm doing some weld repairs to my TR2 sub 900 commission number rear wing.

Question... I have the remains of a bracket on the rear most bottom flange, just before the wing curves around to meet the rear shroud...does anyone know what it does or what it's supposed to look like? I don't recall a tie bar there, just the one at the front end.

Another question on early rear wings...does anyone have an image of what the original profile was like for the early tail lights compared to the later ones? All the books say the rear wing profile was altered to accommodate the later lamps but no images or detail.

I think my rear wings are original and it came to me with the later tail lamps but I can't see any evidence of re-profiling. 

I intend to fit the early lights eventually.

Thanks Ken

Edited by ken foster
spacing
14 hours ago, Jonathan Smith said:

Hopefully photos may be of some use. TR2 TS349 with early rear lights and original wings.

845134D6-3145-479C-9125-D07A87F22EC0.jpeg

BF549B68-1301-4D4F-A307-0B956DB46758.jpeg

1C627D75-9781-4176-AB5E-3B26B7D6FD57.jpeg

174F4F5F-C7F5-404A-BD0E-9449CCE39BEB.jpeg

Thank you for your excellent pictures,

I have the support bracket nearest the wheel arch, the area I am concerned with is...in the last picture, if you follow down from the reflector to the bottom of the wing where it meets the rear panel, I have the remains of a rusty piece of metal...I am wondering now if it was a strengthening gusset which spanned the curve of the wing at the end.

The picture of the rear light is very clear and I can't see any difference in the shape so what and to what extent the area was re-profiled who knows.

I notice you have stainless wing beading and not the fabric sort which I assume was on all the TR2s. 

Is your light surround original?

Many thanks Ken

FWIW the lower section of the rear wing below the lamp housing has a narrower curve than later wings. Pictures below though I couldnt say about the bracket at the back though.

Stuart.

037taillightsearly.jpg

039reflector.jpg

54_Triumph_TR2_DV-07-CC_02.jpg

DSC_0751.JPG

DSC_0747 - Copy.JPG

38 minutes ago, ken foster said:

Thank you Stuart for the info and the pics.

I suppose the rear shroud would have been re profiled in the same area as well.

Thanks Ken

No rear shroud is the same. the wings are narrower at the rear thats all.

Stuart.

8 hours ago, ken foster said:

Thank you for your excellent pictures,

I have the support bracket nearest the wheel arch, the area I am concerned with is...in the last picture, if you follow down from the reflector to the bottom of the wing where it meets the rear panel, I have the remains of a rusty piece of metal...I am wondering now if it was a strengthening gusset which spanned the curve of the wing at the end.

The picture of the rear light is very clear and I can't see any difference in the shape so what and to what extent the area was re-profiled who knows.

I notice you have stainless wing beading and not the fabric sort which I assume was on all the TR2s. 

Is your light surround original?

Many thanks Ken

Hi lights are the originals with glass lenses although rubber gaskets perished a long time ago and keeping my eye out for replacements or reproduction gaskets 

stainless steel beading is a replacement for the original and considering replacement - there a lot of info on forum re replacement beads to match the original 

I’ll double check the bracket set up 

4 hours ago, Jonathan Smith said:

Hi lights are the originals with glass lenses although rubber gaskets perished a long time ago and keeping my eye out for replacements or reproduction gaskets 

stainless steel beading is a replacement for the original and considering replacement - there a lot of info on forum re replacement beads to match the original 

I’ll double check the bracket set up 

Thanks Stuart and Jonathan,

Ken

14 hours ago, stuart said:

FWIW the lower section of the rear wing below the lamp housing has a narrower curve than later wings. Pictures below though I couldnt say about the bracket at the back though.

Stuart.

037taillightsearly.jpg

039reflector.jpg

54_Triumph_TR2_DV-07-CC_02.jpg

DSC_0751.JPG

DSC_0747 - Copy.JPG

That has got to be the nicest long door TR2. Wow, what can be done when the money is there!

Edited by John McCormack