Best LED`s for Warning Lights

Need to make my 4 off warning lights brighter on the Speedo and Tacho, ie the orange, red, green and blue. Spent last two days trawling the forums and still confused as;  ........"were no better and disappointing and some seemed much better" ??

Sorry to post this topic again, but need know which ones are the best to make these warning lights acceptably bright/light up during daylight. 

I suppose what I need is ......................"Don`t buy these but these are really good".

Thanks in anticipation, Colin.

I have the flat GLB987 replacements from Classic Car LED.... in green having previously had white and find them good. 

I don’t think you’d notice them being on in daylight though - unless you looked very carefully - but, personally, I don’t find that an issue.

....... Andy 

Edited by AndyR100

The multi element LEDs were great for instruments but too long to fit the TR3 warning light housings so  I used the single element ones for warning lights. 
All from Bad Boy Classics on line or eBay. 

88F4AD1F-F845-4C9F-8F39-286983B59B9E.jpeg

Hi Colin

I have just fitted a new dashboard to my TR6 and took the opportunity to upgrade my gauge illumination and indicator lamps, oil, indicators, and main/dip. I purchased a set of led lamps from Classic Car Leds

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/products/triumph-tr6-warm-white-gauge-10-x-led-bulbs-upgrade-kit-glb987-e10-mes-987?_pos=3&_sid=1a3ad3c8a&_ss=r

They do a TR6 gauge LED lamp kit. I have fitted this kit with excellent results. I replaced the old dimmer with a 100 Ohm 4W potentiometer. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N9DE0N0/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item  and it is possible to dim the LEDs.

Photo below shows how bright the illumination is after fitting LEDs 

Hope this helps

Bill

image.thumb.png.360ebd5d283951434077c8a9fa12836a.png

Classic car leds for me too on the warning lights...except the ignition one which you need to leave as an incandescent bulb for the charging to still work. They do a special reversing polarity one for the indicator light.

Also fitted blue ones to light the gauges as per CP version. 

Gareth

IMG_20191004_153823_670.thumb.jpg.c1101ad8f7883ba4e41140037609cc9d.jpg

Edited by Mk2 Chopper
2 hours ago, Mk2 Chopper said:

Classic car leds for me too on the warning lights...except the ignition one which you need to leave as an incandescent bulb for the charging to still work. They do a special reversing polarity one for the indicator light.

Also fitted blue ones to light the gauges as per CP version. 

Gareth

I have done the same, however I did replace the ignition light with a red LED. It does occasionally stop the charging for a few seconds on starting the engine so I may go back to a incandescent bulb if this continues. 

Cameron

+1 for classic car LED's as well, but since my 4A small gauge bulb holders had sort of fallen apart, I had to change them over to bayonet bulb holders with matching LED's  all acquired from classic car. For the tach/speedo hi had to dismember the new available repros and transplant to the original bulb holders.

Cheers,

Alf

Thanks everyone for the responses. Looks like Classic Cars is the place to go, and understand you must keep the original bulb for the red ignition light.  I do however have three additional questions before purchasing:

1. Are all the illumination and warning lamps a screw type GLB 987 fitting for all the gauges or could I have some with a different fitting?

2. Will I have to remove the dash panel to fit the new LED`s, the speedo and tacho looks easy, but impossible for the four smaller gauges?

3. Question for Bill,.......... the Classic Car LED TR6 replacement kit you purchased has 10 x led`s, but this doesn't seem to include an amber LED for the oil pressure warning light?                                              ie surly there should be, 8 x for illumination and 3x for oil pressure, main beam and indicators = 11 correct?

Best regards, Colin.

Hi Colin, yes they should all be the GLB987 screw in type. You should be able to get your hand behind the dash to change all the bulbs, for the oil and fuel ones its easier to pull out the ash tray and do it from there.

Daz

Hi Colin

I don't know why Classiccar LEDs do not include a led lamp for the oil warning position. I note that a more comprehensive kit they supply for TR6 does include an oil warning LED. Best thing to do is buy the extra LED lamp, that's what I intend to do.

Cheers

Bill

Thanks for all your advice chaps. I did an experiment yesterday with a spare GLB 987 bulb by drilling a small hole through the soldered joint, soldering a 470 ohm resistor inside and attaching  a blue LED. Then epoxying the led into the bulb holder to make an LED lookalike. In other words a "home made" LED for the blue main beam warning and it works a treat. So much brighter Took all day so wont be making another 10 as too much hassle !!

Its actually the red ignition  and and yellow oil pressure light that is most important to me. So do we have a circuit diagram for the bypass resistor that has been proved  to work for ignition light?

Cheers, Colin. 

You hardly need a circuit digram Colin, it is just a resistor connected in parallel with the bulb - across the bulbholder base is probably easiest. 120 Ohm 1watt should be enough.