No washer under TR2/3 steering column nut

Hi All

I am wondering if anybody knows the theory behind why it is not necessary to have washer fitted under the main nut of a TR2-3a steering column?

Neither the parts book or workshop manual show or mention one and my own anecdotal evidence from dismantling many cars would confirm they weren't fitted, presumably because they weren't deemed necessary for engineering reasons.

Nut, bolt and washer technology seems to be a science all of it's own, but I could not find an exact answer to this application, only that the length of the bolt (the column) may be a factor.

The nut itself is large and flat in relation to the thread diameter, which may be to prevent galling to the steering wheel hub which is relatively soft, only a guess. 

Anybody got any ideas, also what the torque setting would be for this nut.

Thanks Simon

From memory of commissioning the remake of the steering wheel nut the drawing called for it to be finished with a 'washer face'.  Why no washer I cannot answer.

Cheers

Peter W

image.png.0b2b077703af0f64f85bc2718e1edf7f.png