Slowly doing bits and pieces on the rebuild of my 5 and went to fit the fan belt yesterday.

I can't fit the belt between the bottom pulley and the steering rack. If I support the sump on a jack and block, loosen gearbox and engine mountings will I be able to shift the block back a couple of millimetres to get sufficient space. 

...or am I missing something else.

Many thanks as always,

Tim

16 minutes ago, Tim T said:

Slowly doing bits and pieces on the rebuild of my 5 and went to fit the fan belt yesterday.

I can't fit the belt between the bottom pulley and the steering rack. If I support the sump on a jack and block, loosen gearbox and engine mountings will I be able to shift the block back a couple of millimetres to get sufficient space. 

Many thanks as always,

Tim

Tim, as already suggested upon another post by myself, when you work out the fitting method...fit two belts around the crank nose and after fitting one, secure the opened spare belt with lockties around the timing cover and thermostat housing to prevent being stranded at roadside and unable to replace easily. When needed then clip the lockties and slip the belt forwards and onto the pulleys.

I have had a spare one fitted upon my Stag like this for 13 years now and inspecting it, because it is opened up and not stressed it looks like it's in good condition and of course the car dare not now cause a belt failure because I have taken steps to circumvent it...all I have to do now is second guess the rest of it !

Mick Richards. 

I have just changed the engine mounts on my TR6 and while I was at it changed the fan belt and put in a spare as Mick suggested, I had to undo the rack mounts to get the belts in place even with the engine standing on a jack.

George

2 hours ago, Tim T said:

Many thanks as always,

Tim

As above that is all you need to do push the engine back and do up mounting bolts

Edited by ntc

Right, fit a spare belt seems a great idea. Don't really want to undo the steering rack U- bolts as they are poly and a pig to compress. Can I just put a bar against the cross tube and lever the engine block rearward using a block of wood for protection and then retorque all bolts. I only need about 3mm max movement.

Thanks again

Tim

There is a easy way to do it, the gearbox mount will flex enough and you can move that later. Loosen the nuts inside the engine mountings use a pry bar against the crash lug on the front crossmember use wood against the timing cover then push back and tap the mountings forward tighten nuts and your done forever. Put the spare belt in the boot.

Got that thanks Neil. Forgive my ignorance but what is the ' crash lug' ?

Will do this tomorrow as one can have too much of gardening!

Cheers,

Tim

Just now, Tim T said:

Got that thanks Neil. Forgive my ignorance but what is the ' crash lug' ?

Will do this tomorrow as one can have too much of gardening!

Cheers,

Tim

Thats the humped piece on the crossmember below the rack.

Stuart.

Many thanks for all contributions, all successfully completed today.

Tim