Translation to Follow.

Since when did Alexander de Pfeffel Johnson, born in Manhattan, NY, lived in London, Oxford and Exmoor, went to Eton and Oxford (Balliol, of course) become a Cumbrian?

Ever since tongue entered cheek John :-)

6 hours ago, john.r.davies said:

Which accounts for the rustic mumbling!

I suspect that it is, indeed, one of the reasons

Translation;-

I hope this finds you well?

We are concerned that you may become unwell, and to prevent this we are issuing insructions

that you are to stay within the confines of your own home.

We urge you especially, not to visit your parents, and to ensure your

children also remain well behaved and follow  your lead.

These restrictions will not last forever, we urge you to stay responsible and mentally well.

From Boris Johnson.

John.

On 4/6/2020 at 8:24 PM, AndrewMAshton said:

Reads more like Geordie to me, 

Many similarities I’m sure but not quite.  Bairn is not a word I’ve personally heard commonly spoken in maybe 30 years but larl is not one I’ve ever heard used.   Cumbrian probably has a few more Viking legacy words left in use.  You should listen to some north / rural Northumberland accents.   Even my live translation mode for Geordie and Scottish working together struggles with some of those spoken words.  
I would struggle with those Cumbrian words, as I’m sure many from Cumbria might, but then spoken words and written words are different to take in.
Paul.

auto correct made this difficult to type on my iPad.

23 hours ago, PaulAnderson said:

Many similarities I’m sure but not quite.  Bairn is not a word I’ve personally heard commonly spoken in maybe 30 years but larl is not one I’ve ever heard used.   Cumbrian probably has a few more Viking legacy words left in use.  You should listen to some north / rural Northumberland accents.   Even my live translation mode for Geordie and Scottish working together struggles with some of those spoken words.  
I would struggle with those Cumbrian words, as I’m sure many from Cumbria might, but then spoken words and written words are different to take in.
Paul.

auto correct made this difficult to type on my iPad.

I like 'Tardy' Paul

Good old English word, taken to the Americas by the early colonists.

Still in common use in the USA, very rare here (but common in my house)

2 hours ago, RobH said:

Really? A fairly common word I though. 

Quite, brother to clarty .

Mick Richards