Alternator anything else than chinese copies

My alternator (Lucas AcR 16) gave up. Today I got the repair kit and did the service. But I must admit I do not trust that thing anymore. But which alternator will be the successor? The new Lucas are made in china and of poor quality. The Bosch are expensive and which one will fit?

Who has made experience and can give advice?

Hello 

I changed to a Nippon Denso when I fitted EFI to my Spitfire so it would have enough power to run the pump at tick over!

Plus they are much smaller so I can get at No1 plug easier and there are loads of them out there but not Chinese poor quality!

Roger 

I almost always favor a rebuild of an OEM unit to a new aftermarket knock-off.  Not sure about the rotor and stator, but just about everything else in the alternator can be tested and replaced.

Ed

I rebuilt mine as an ACR 18 about 15 years or so ago. Parts were readily available and 45 amps was as far as I was prepared to push my original wiring, with the CP's charging current going in and out of the dashboard ammeter.

Note I don't have a lot of extra electrical accessories fitted.

This is the unit I fitted recently, I'm pretty sure it's manufactured in Italy.  An auto-electricain friend sourced it for me and it wasn't too badly priced (at trade price :)).

The front pivot and bracket mate up perfectly.  I drilled the ACR fan to fit the shaft and lathed  the back off the orinal pulley to get the correct belt alignment and ratio (I may have also drilled the centre out).

Lastly, not wanting to damage the factory (Moss) loom, I made up a jumper lead set which plugs into the alternator connector block utilising some old male blade connectors converted to female using some copper strip soldered in place.

It was relatively straight forward and I'm very happy with the outcome.

Gavin

15859600682740.jpg

15859600683841.jpg

15859600684122.jpg

15859600687443.jpg

15859601681094.jpg

15859601681695.jpg

15859601681916.jpg

Having found original Lucas alternator in the web. But they are from Lucas TVS, a company established in the 1960s between Lucas UK and an Indian plant. What do the brits say to their products?