Ain't no sunshine...anymore

Knock Knock ...How do you make a duck into a great singer...you put it into a microwave and wait until it's Bill Withers.

Time passes and music marks the memory of good times and bad and who can forget Bill Withers contribution who has recently passed away aged 81.

Neil McCormick in the Telegraph reports 

Bill Withers walked away from music in 1985, when he was 47. He had done all he needed to, had made a lot of money, and by all accounts enjoyed a long and productive retirement. He released no more music for the next 35 years and expressed no regrets. So let us not become too overwrought at his death, at 81, from heart issues, surrounded by his family.

For those of us who only knew him through his music, he left a small but perfectly formed catalogue of some of the greatest songs ever written and recorded.

It is very hard to put a finger on what made Withers so unique. His sound existed in a place between blues, soul, gospel, country, funk, jazz and pop. His arrangements were sleek and unfussy. And he sung with relaxed pace and restrained emotion, never over-stressing nor employing any of the showy, expressive techniques common in R’n’B music.

His songs were melodious, philosophical, pared down to their essence and usually very short and to the point. But wow, they did everything a song needed to in their allotted space and time.

It's going to be more difficult to find those "Lovely days" without Bill.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

Did you know that when he wasn’t singing he had a stammer and dedicated the rest of his life to helping those with a stammer?

In my younger years I sung alot of barbershop music, 

I met a few people with stamers and they could sing like skylark 

I always had the problem  listening to people with a stammer, it would start me of,

Strange that, often I would end up apologiseing so they would not think I was taking the Michael