Hi Jeremy

I use NGK Copper Core Spark Plug BP6ES and I've bought them from here http://www.gsparkplug.com/1x-ngk-copper-core-spark-plug-bp6es-7811.html

Recently I’ve been using BP5ES in cylinders 5&6 and I find I have less fouling.

NGK plugs don't like getting wet.

I use NGK BUR6ET. Triple electrode with same heat range as original. The triple electrode plugs last for at least 20k miles and give easier starting, smoother tick over and crisper pick up/acceleration. They also tolerate fouling better, from cold starts/over rich mixture.

Try searching the forum for BUR6ET, it's been discussed in the past.

Nigel

Hi

There is a lot of talk on this but it seems the newer irridium plugs are not really suitable as they dont remove the heat as well.    I had irridiums and went back to copper cores as I found they did not work so well on very hot days.

Rich

Don't waste your money on iridium plugs and use BUR6ET's as Mike suggests. 

To reduce or eliminate the fouling on No's 5 & 6 run the rocker cover breather to a catch can or a simple filter as I have.  The hose on the latter falls back to the rocker cover and the filter and its surrounding have remained clean as you can see.

Gavin

15861330955880.jpg

15861330957671.jpg

• 1 month later...

I'm trialling swapping over the breather pipe with the tick over pipe on the air box. My logic being that it doesn't matter where the tick over valve picks up its filtered air and releasing the oil mist at the start of the air flow allows it to be shared between all 6 cylinders. So far it seems to be working well, with all plugs  a nice tan colour, including 5 and 6. Anyone know whether there's something important I'm missing here?

I've just installed these Bosch WR78 four electrode plugs:

IMG_20200507_191825_652.thumb.jpg.fe69097233834a3520e0c58b3c437778.jpg

Engine seems to run just the same to me no better no worse than with the NGK's.

Gareth

On 4/6/2020 at 9:37 AM, Andy Moltu said:

I use BUR6ET prior to that BP6EV which were good but Halfords stopped stocking and eBay is a lottery with fake plugs.

Serious - - fake plugs??

Richard

You would hardly think there would be enough profit in faking a bog standard plug but if you have manufacturing capacity churning out cheapo plugs, putting a label from a premium brand bumps up the profit margin and there's no real risk of warranty replacements.

On 5/27/2020 at 12:51 PM, Mk2 Chopper said:

I've just installed these Bosch WR78 four electrode plugs:

IMG_20200507_191825_652.thumb.jpg.fe69097233834a3520e0c58b3c437778.jpg

Engine seems to run just the same to me no better no worse than with the NGK's.

Gareth

That's a good thing - if performance improved with a change in plugs it means the old ones were the wrong ones or defective.

I think my 6 was less prone to going fluffy after being stuck in traffic for long spells when I swapped to the multi-electrode plugs but there again the plugs they replaced were getting on!

14 minutes ago, Andy Moltu said:

That's a good thing - if performance improved with a change in plugs it means the old ones were the wrong ones or defective.

I think my 6 was less prone to going fluffy after being stuck in traffic for long spells when I swapped to the multi-electrode plugs but there again the plugs they replaced were getting on!

I'd heard bad things about NGK's (even the genuine ones) but it turns out the ones I had were really good as there is no noticeable difference and they were probably in for a couple of years. 

Gareth

On 3 April 2020 at 9:17 PM, Mike C said:

I use BUR6ET's for the reasons outlined by Nigel. Expensive , but you can cross spark plugs off your future problems list.

I used to use these but since getting my engine rebuilt and uprated I've gone back to the standard BPR6ES. They are noticeably better now.