Sorry I've been a bit slow here, but Hero have been running (day 4) a competitive table top rally with the proceeds going to NHS Charities Together.  

https://heroevents.eu/event-schedule/hero-vtt-championship/?fbclid=IwAR3HPDW4GGEEicSyvOv-UXj-qjcKepGHt1DkHTFijhjqya3VIBltgS5e_5I

So if you've ever been tempted to have a go at regularity rallying but were a bit concerned by the navigation, here's a chance to have a go from the comfort of your desk / armchair.

It takes about ten minutes each day and is a welcome break from doing whatever you were doing.  And it runs for the next five weeks.

So come on give it a go.  If you get stuck, I'm sure there's plenty of help out there.

Keep safe Kev

Hi Kev......10 Mins! You must be an expert :-)

I’ve not solved Tuesdays, which is still bugging me. Can t find the yyyw?

All good fun.

Iain

Ps HRCR are doing one too......also great fun?

Iain,

PM me if you want the grid ref.  Keep looking, it's there.  Otherwise enjoy.

By the way if you are using the email instructions there's an error.  On the email the string shows a yyY.  On the PDF it is correctly shown as yYY.  

kev

• 3 weeks later...

week4 day 2

I am a beginner at regularity rallies but find them really good and challenging.  w4  D2 is different from other nav styles that I have seen.  Having said that I'm sure Point J is Off the modern map and point I is not on the old map.   Or am I wrong and need to get my eyes tested??  Interesting that use of a compass is needed to locate  the exact position on the modern map of a few of the  of a few of the points noted on the old map.

Edited by Alfrom
correction of day number (no wonder I get lost)

Point I does seem to be missing, probably because it’s a straight line?

J is definitely off the new map.

i am confused. Can you use the same road twice? Not normally allowed, but needs must!:-)

Iain

I think the point on this test is to read every word on the instructions and not assume common requirements are actually there.  for instance it is natural to assume that point I is there somewhere, also that it is necessary to visit the points in alphabetical order even though this ia]s not written down.  On reflection and having spent a LOT of time plotting , I have come to the conclusion that the only requirements - other than those in the large paragraph about moving routes from one map to the other and not go through any letters (very ambiguous in this context ie does this mean place names only or the places identified by the added letters A,B,C ....  J etc), -  are to start at the start and end at the finish. I can't see anything that requires a route to pass through the identified points at all.

Week4 day 2 seems to need very careful looking with a magnifying lens.  it appears that not every junction encountered is identified in the listing.

these challenges are great fun as well as extremely time-consuming.  They  would be much easier I'm sure if the weather was a lot worse.

Pierre

keep smiling

Also, not allowed to use the same road twice - even in opposite directions.  you are allowed  to cross a road already used including at  cross roads on the basis that  the second visit to the cross roads does not use either the entry or exit road used on the first visit.  my understanding is that this limitation is used by all designers of TT rallies.

Edited by Alfrom
grammar correction

Wk4 D4 is interesting and relatively straightforward even accounting for the rule  not written here explicitly but that generally exists for plotting a route using Spot Heights. ie do not pass through any SHs that are not designated.  Having plotted the route using this constraint and also ignoring it, I believe that application of this rule does affect the final answer (in my opinion). Again though as for previous tests, it is necessary to find the exact location of the dot for the SH location (on the road or not?) . On some of these previous tests, I have found it impossible to see the point on screen or on a paper printout and got the wrong answer at the end.

just my thoughts. Apologies for the rambling.

Pierre

second apology - to those who already know all this but then i am probably not the only beginner looking at this.

Edited by Alfrom
second apology added.

Spot heights are the ones on the road i believe not those just off to the side?

I thought this a relatively easy test ...............that normally means i have made  a horlicks of it!

Iain

On 4/25/2020 at 11:21 PM, Alfrom said:

It' been a long day - nothing to plot . . . . . 

Mrs Bleednipple gets antsy on Sats and Suns nowadays, as no Tabletop Rally stages to do at the weekends. She's quiet and happy as I type this with her "map sudoku" (today's is crossing grid lines in order, I gather).

I wonder when we'll be able to start real rallies again.

Nigel

yes it's a grid line day today. Pretty straight forward compared to other definitions the challenge this week will be in finding the required words for the final answer for Sunday evening.

forgot about the nogo zone until a little while ago, but fortunately didn't have to make any significant change to my answer today except for the actual road selection in that area.

Mrs BN will not be the only one at a loose end over the weekend . . . Might get around to devising a small TTR for my group although there appears to be little interest in this type of challenge.  Can't think why not.  Having said that I wouldn't fancy doing a plot and bash on anything we've had during the past few weeks, especially on the move! 

Well I think I’ve solved the puzzle but not sure I’ve got the all the routes correct!

Edited by iain