I am trying to refurbish my interior air vents does any one have any suggestions on how to open them to clean them up and possibly replace the felt? I've removed them, they seem to have two tabs on opposite sides. Are these glued together? Does anyone have a suggestion on how to open them up?

The ones I've seen are glued, but you may not have to take them apart to get them working well.

I found that just cleaning the balls really well and waxing them restored smooth movement on the felt.  On one of mine, the dirty ball had partially dislodged the felt. It was finicky, but I was able to get the felt back in place.

Ed

SDC12472a.JPG

Edited by ed_h

Hi,

I just washed these thoroughly, prepared with Scotchbrite, and sprayed with Satin ( should it have been gloss?) hammerite.The felt was out of position, but easily repositioned, 'worked it all a bit' and bingo they were fine - I think!

Tim

IMG_5656s.thumb.JPG.fb4e66ffaeefd9ce6eecc1b020a66e33.JPGIMG_5657s.thumb.JPG.9232046e421895de57f9c2ee6bc62d84.JPG

As said I bent the metal tags back removed the felts and put the plastic bits through the dish washer and had all the metal bits powder coated and reassembled. Had to use the old felts as I could not track down any black felt . Turned out ok.

Hi just completed one - cut through at the join carefully with a junior hacksaw, making sure not to cut the “tabs”,cut out strips of felt, about 10mm for the rear and 5mm for the front. Glued in the fly with evostick type glue.

I used hotmelt glue to stick the two halves back together trimmed it off and looks and feels good.

I think the later type are all plastic with no metal bits.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Neil