TR4 Fan Belt Removal/Fitting

Hi,

My TR4 has the conventional set up of a wide fan belt and lucas dynamo. The dynamo cannot swing enough towards the engine to allow the belt to become clear of the dynamo pulley so as to remove and refit. Is this how it should be and the procedure then is to remove the dynamo pulley or water pump pulley to allow the removal/fitting of the belt? 

Thanks

Andy

Hi Andy,

yes, this is always a bit tight, but I never had to put the pulleys of.

The classic belt is a typ "20", 900 mm long, called so becauses 20 mm wide.

But this is not rocket technic and not every "20" is 20 mm wide, and 900 mm long is not always 900 mm long.

I own one "20", indeed 20 mm wide, another only 19 mm wide and easier to fit.

Look for another one, best a "Flennor 20X900", toothed and more flexible.

Ciao, Marco

It's brutal but you have to carefully leaver the belt and turn the belt and all three pulleys to ease the belt off 1 of the pulleys (plugs out and use the blades of the fan), the next problem is getting the belt past the steering rack, loosen the engine mounts and jack up the front of the engine to gain clearance, reverse procedure to replace the belt.

Cheers Rob

6 minutes ago, Z320 said:

Hi Andy,

yes, this is always a bit tight, but I never had to put the pulleys of.

The classic belt is a typ "20", 900 mm long, called so becauses 20 mm wide.

But this is not rocket technic and not every "20" is 20 mm wide, and 900 mm long is not always 900 mm long.

I own one "20", indeed 20 mm wide, another only 19 mm wide and easier to fit.

Look for another one, best a "Flennor 20X900", toothed and more flexible.

Ciao, Marco

Thanks Marco, I'll check the length of the belt and I have a look at the one you suggest.

6 minutes ago, Rob Salisbury said:

It's brutal but you have to carefully leaver the belt and turn the belt and all three pulleys to ease the belt off 1 of the pulleys (plugs out and use the blades of the fan), the next problem is getting the belt past the steering rack, loosen the engine mounts and jack up the front of the engine to gain clearance, reverse procedure to replace the belt.

Cheers Rob

Thanks Rob, I had wondered whether I had a bodged set up but from what you are saying it appears to be normal and brute force is required. I am sure I have changed the belt before and had no issue getting it past the steering rack, but having read many times that you need jack the engine up perhaps I have not.  I have a spare so I will see if I can get it past.

Whilst you are at wiggling the belt past the rad and over the fan fit 2 belts, use one and secure one as a spare in position around the front of the engine timing cover using lockties, then when it's peeing it down with rain at the side of the road at 10 pm it's easy to cut the ties on the spare and just move it forward and onto the pullies. Of course since I've done this I've never had any belt trouble so it works as a deterrent to the car also.

Mick Richards 

A friend of mine did this with his pre war Adler Trumpf Junior.

To change the belt on this car the gera box must be taken out!

The pulley is on the gear box shaft (frond wheel drive), see this photo from the internet.

IMG_6494.thumb.JPG.e103cfa215a78245c405e9ca0e29885b.JPG

Another idea is a belt like this

IMG_6495.JPG.08a17af366a206282280c5e68813c72f.JPG 

Edited by Z320
more details and photos added
10 hours ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Whilst you are at wiggling the belt past the rad and over the fan fit 2 belts, use one and secure one as a spare in position around the front of the engine timing cover using lockties, then when it's peeing it down with rain at the side of the road at 10 pm it's easy to cut the ties on the spare and just move it forward and onto the pullies. Of course since I've done this I've never had any belt trouble so it works as a deterrent to the car also.

Mick Richards 

Yes Mick, this is what we were taught years and years back...... I thought at the time, it would be the difference between a DNF and outright Rally win!

However, ditto and also no belt trouble ever since..

Andy, anyone else, need a new belt?

Buy two belts.

We early car users fit a belt, run it for a few hundred miles to stretch it , then replace it with another new belt.

Place the removed and now pre stretched belt inside the spare wheel for storage with appropriate replacing tools.

The starting handle is of limited use if you are on your own as the new belt insists on not winding onto the last pulley.

Peter W