23 hours ago, Angus Bruce said:

I have a Bosch 0580254985 fuel pump that is making a very loud whining sound. Does anyone know if they are rebuildable or is there a replacement pump available.

IMG_2926.JPG

IMG_2928.JPG

Hi Angus,

Looking at your install, I do not like the look of the type of hose fitted, it becomes very hard, with age, when used with petrol, from pump to PRV, what is its psi rating? Nothing more than 150 psi working is required!  As you may be getting harmonic hammering? Bosch pumps all have a low whine when working properly!

Bruce.

Bosch pumps are noisy during operation, if you've had the car for a while, is the pump louder than usual? As far as I know, the pumps are not rebuildable. There's been a heap of discussion on this forum about suitable Bosch and other pumps for the PI system. The pumps in favour at any particular time seems to depend on the particular model's availability.

I use 225psi Gates Barricade  for my flexible fuel lines. You need a generous loop of it in the return line from the PRV to the tank to prevent harmonic vibration from the pump. For hose clamps I use  SS jubilee clamps , 2 off per fitting with the screw  heads spaced 180 degrees apart. Last time I checked this  arrangement had a wide margin of safety on the 100 psi nominal working pressure of the PI system.

Hi Angus,

Bruce and Mike sum it all up above.

There are many posts on suitable fuel lines, Bosch alternatives, harmonic hammering, pro’s and cons of pre- and post pump filters,suction line size increases etc on this forum. A search will bring you there, I recommend you take time to read, not only to learn, but also to become aware of the risks involved with this system that is operating on a much higher pressure than other fuel injection systems.

There are a couple of differing opinions on some aspects, but that’s ok (for me), we should all be able to make up our own minds.

In response to your specific question:

I tried to open my old 996 pump, but would have needed to bend the casing edge open  so gave up.

The Bosch xxx996 pump is expensive and / or has long delivery time, so I changed to another suitable original Bosch equivalent. 
There are cheap copies on the www, I would avoid these!

Your inlet hose looks like an air hose to me, These are not suitable for fuel and will harden an become brittle. Also the inner layer (they are often layered) can detach from the outer layer.

Regards,
Waldi