Chassi jigs for TR6

In short I made my own. In fact I made a sub-chassis that fitted to a rotissari at either end and also braced the usual door A to B posts as well as across from B to B. The pictures show what I did but it is a ladder frame with custom support brackets to hold the body tub on to it.

Not shown in these photos was that first I made a substantial two beam support that was to lift the body up off the TR6 chassis withoit flexing. Using an engine hoist I separated the body and rested it on axle stands. I then constructed the ladder frame underneath and then with both body level and sub-chassis level constructed the supports. Bolted body to sub-chassis then made rotissari ends. What turned out has been great and I suggest a good enough jig for bodywork repairs. I can remove any bracket to get to any part to weld, etc.

I have loads of photos of this process if anyone is interested.

Current-Support-Frame-and-Rotissari.jpg

DSCN9332_compressed.jpg

DSCN9333_compressed.jpg

DSCN9364_compressed.jpg

DSCN9367_compressed.jpg

Should perhaps have added that the whole frame was made so it can come apart (so I can sell it later!). I can transport the TR6  on the sub-chassis on a trailer and the rotissari ends will go in a boot of a car so the bodyshop, etc., can use my rotissari ends. Cost me £200 in metal and I welded the rest myself.

23 minutes ago, Richard Pope said:

Should perhaps have added that the whole frame was made so it can come apart (so I can sell it later!). I can transport the TR6  on the sub-chassis on a trailer and the rotissari ends will go in a boot of a car so the bodyshop, etc., can use my rotissari ends. Cost me £200 in metal and I welded the rest myself.

That to me, looks to be an outstanding job done! Did you do any  dimensional drawings i.e. blue prints of your set up?

Bruce

5 hours ago, astontr6 said:

That to me, looks to be an outstanding job done! Did you do any  dimensional drawings i.e. blue prints of your set up?

Bruce

Thanks. Used a tape measure on the job to cut and weld the metal. I did sketch out the rotissari ends but final design changed a little on the go. For the triangular rotissari ends, I made up a temporary pivot point out of scrap wood in an effort to adjust for center of gravity. However, as it happened the first point turned out to be the correct one within a 'nats'. Guess I was lucky on that.

On 3/31/2020 at 7:44 PM, nylen said:

Hi,

A member in our club, Triumph TR Club Sweden, asked me if I could help him find someone who has a drawing to make a chassi jig for att TR6. No one has that in Sweden so he like to do one.

Do you mean a jig just to bolt the chassis to ensure its straight and effect repairs or as above then leave the tub bolted to the chassis and bolt the chassis/tub to a rotisserie using the bumper irons and fix the tub, just brace the door gaps.

Andy 

I have to say I wondered if my jig was good enough to act as a body jig. Assuming that my body is straight in the first place and my original chassis is straight, my jig would seem to lock the body to the original chassis simply because each support locks each mounting point to the same location. This would not be true if when removing the body from the original chassis the body twisted or flexed whilst being lifted. I made sure the lifting mechanism was substantial and extended from bulkhead to rear boot tub so I doubt it did move - perhapps mm? I left wings and doors on whilst separating and the door gaps did not change.

Assuming the above, I suggest I can now remove a panel such as an inner rear wing and replace without distortion as the surrounding panels are held true to their original location. That's my plan anyway so will see in due course.

Hi Ed,

I should perhaps of added a comment that I originally based my design on yours since you kindly posted your above photo aboit a year ago for me. As you can see I went down a similar route but could not get scrap metal so designed the 60 x 30 metal box sections for main rails and rotisserie then used wood for cross bars and other bits. Angle irn for each tailored support strut.

Having the whole body at chest height makes it all so much easier.

Sorry and thanks again.

On 3/31/2020 at 7:44 PM, nylen said:

Hi,

A member in our club, Triumph TR Club Sweden, asked me if I could help him find someone who has a drawing to make a chassi jig for att TR6. No one has that in Sweden so he like to do one.

Out of curiosity has this helped you?