Engine advice pls.

I am renovating a Texas TR4 1965 model, fitted inner  / Outer sills new floors etc. Being unable to get out for parts to complete the body, I have started to strip the engine

to see whats needed. The bearings are standard, crank looks as though only a polish  is needed, pistons are lightly scored but I hope would polish out, and just new rings required.

Bores have no top "lip" and again I hope just a "hone" would enable them to be used again. There is no coppering to any bearing. Head would need "Unleading of course.

see Pics and I would appreciate your opinion.

Looks like an excellent engine Pete.

Truth is told by the crankshaft sprocket, been a long time since I’ve seen a used one as crisp as that ! A good indicator of a low mileage engine, being cheap and lazy most users only replace them when you can shave with them !

The only thing I can see from the photo’s is there looks to be a piston ring fitting mark above the top ring ? Maybe an original witness mark as the rest of the piston again looks only lightly used. You have a recorded history of buying good cars with relatively light use and I think you’ve done it again ! Well done.

Mick Richards

Thanks to all for your help. The engine had not ran for about 10 Years residing in a Texan Barn, before I brought it to the UK.

The whole car is stripped down for Bodywork issues, which I cannot proceed further with, so checked the Gearbox, which has it seems new synchro rings and new Forks.

will leave the O/D in place, hoping that its as good as the box. The engine was the next place to look at.

Have the crank, camshaft and bearings checked/measured by professional mechanic.

New pistons and rings, crank bearings, and maybe cam bearings.

Consider uprated cam, narrow belt conversion with fan delete. Flywheel lightened, cyl head shaved, engine and clutch balanced.

The oil control ring is a 3 piece expander type construction which is not the original type used on Hepolite/Triumph pistons. The original were solid type.  Maybe Hastings or Deves make.  http://www.deves.com/

This may point at a re-ring having happened in the engine's history

Looks good otherwise - What state is the cam in?

Peter W