Interior Door Pull Handles on a TR3a

The doors on my TR3a need a bit of a slam to make them shut.  The passenger's side is worse and the cause of the problem is the bottom seal.

Rather than remove the seal, I am thinking of installing some interior door handles but clearly they will need to be mounted onto something solid otherwise they will just pull out of the door card or pull the door card off.

Before I go and reinvent the wheel, has anyone else addressed this problem (i.e. fitting a substantial pull handle) or do you all just stick your hand out of the window and push firmly from the outside.

Rgds Ian

Use 650306  item 145 here - Top edge of the two 'hinge' bits aligns to top edge of door trim centred along the trim panel between sidescreen mounts.

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/body-chassis/doors-fittings/doors-fittings-tr4-4a-1961-67.html

Peter W

I have the same problem and I made up my own answer. Sorry Peter. There are interior handles which fold down on the TR4.  I drilled holes through the card and the metal . I fitted two bolts through the handle and the door into the void inside. It was then possible to feed a lock washer and a nut by reaching up inside with no other fixings holding the door card at that stage. 

I gave up on the lower seal years ago and ST used to take them off for customers. My door hits the sill at the rear lower corner and is worse with the side screen mounted. I have tried reinforcing the top hinge but in the end I have given up and just have to carry on with other problems.

Good luck Richard & B

I used the same TR4 ones as Richard, as my doors have wood inside the top section I just drilled through the metal, & then used wood screws.

Will post a photo later.

Bob.

I have some 3mm flat steel strip in my shed.  I will pop rivet it to the inside of the door after I have welded a couple of nuts to the reverse side in the appropriate place for the door handles.

Rgds Ian

Why make extra work fitting metal plate as pop riveting may distort the frame as will bolting.

Glue a piece of hardwood to the door frame and screw into it , as large a possible to spread the load.

Rod

Most of the lower rubbers are wrong which is why  the doors dont shut, plus badly fitted sills doesnt help, Moss have redone the seals now and also have the correct offset on the clips as well. This will help though the TR4 inner pull handles can be easily fitted to any of the doors no matter if late or early, early cars have enough wood to screw into using self tappers and late doors with steel tops you can use rivnuts for fixing

Stuart.

20 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Use 650306  item 145 here - Top edge of the two 'hinge' bits aligns to top edge of door trim centred along the trim panel between sidescreen mounts.

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/body-chassis/doors-fittings/doors-fittings-tr4-4a-1961-67.html

Peter W

Hi Peter,

I could not open this link. Sometimes they are underlined and coloured. Is it user error or is my laptop causing problems. Even when they do open sometimes it takes me to Google and not the link I was waiting for. I am sure that this is my problem but any help would be very useful.

Thanks Richard  & B

19 minutes ago, Richardtr3a said:

Hi Peter,

I could not open this link. Sometimes they are underlined and coloured. Is it user error or is my laptop causing problems. Even when they do open sometimes it takes me to Google and not the link I was waiting for. I am sure that this is my problem but any help would be very useful.

Thanks Richard  & B

If it is coloured and underlined it is a live link and should work if you just click on it Richard.

If it doesn't then something on your machine isn't set up properly.  As a work-around try copying the link and pasting it into the browser address bar at the top of the page; then hit 'return'.

In this case to save you the bother this is the drawing:

door.jpg.ed8bd2544b6c67148a45db4478100de3.jpg

145 is part number 650306 and costs £18.10

3 hours ago, Rodbr said:

Why make extra work fitting metal plate as pop riveting may distort the frame as will bolting.

Glue a piece of hardwood to the door frame and screw into it , as large a possible to spread the load.

Rod

Hi Rod,

I am planning to pop rivet the steel plate behind the steel door frame (its a post 60k car) to stiffen the thin steel sheet that the door is pressed from.  Also, with regard to Stuart's suggestion of using a couple of rivnuts, I don't have access to a rivnut tool, I do have a MIG welder and loads of 2BA nuts and raised counterunk set screws.

Rgds Ian

1 hour ago, Ian Vincent said:

There are other suppliers on the internet who offer the same part for a lilttle more than half that cost.

Rgds Ian

Yes I agree beware the non hinged/folding type will eat your elbow.

non hinged image.png.155ae87c67f16f52a317f4817f1831f0.png

Hinged  image.png.68d018e7132770c90a1818f70a8e70e2.pnghttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chrome-Interior-Door-Pull-Handle-Pair-Universal-For-Classic-Cars/201955013479?hash=item2f0574f367%3Ag%3AL9QAAOSwAxpd3n5P&LH_BIN=1

The rivnut is a good answer and was not available when I fitted mine. I have the tool and the rivets and would be pleased to lend  you the kiy when I next come to visit my son in Sampford Arundel, near you. It may be next year before people my age are allowed out ???

Your welding would be much quicker.

Good luck Richard & B.

Use 2BA Rawlnuts then as you have the screws.  Just drill the hole and away you go

Same sort of thing as rivenut but does not need setting tool

Link to items for sale.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-New-rubber-2BA-x-1-2-Rawlnuts/173454170325?hash=item2862ac98d5:g:zBUAAOSwgClbaDp4

Rawlnuts (I’ve always known them as “Wellnuts”) are really useful things.

There are loads of times when they can replace spire-nuts or cage nuts. (Unless they need to be used to earth something through the screw.)

I’ve used them on my 3A in many places.  Headlamp bowls to front apron for example.

I did not realize they came in BA sizes, I thought they were only Metric.

(Do they also come in UNF?)

Charlie.

On 4/2/2020 at 8:52 AM, Drewmotty said:

I’ve got some here Ian. Drop me a pm and I’ll post you 4.

Apologies for not replying earlier.  The handles arrived in the post yesterday and I wanted to get straight on with it - nothing else to do! - so I fitted them using my approach of a couple of nuts welded to a strip which I pop riveted to the rear of the interior door panel.

The result looks good to me.  Thks to all who contributed their help and....

Rgds Ian

IMG_2825.jpg

On 4/2/2020 at 7:57 AM, Ian Vincent said:

Thks again for the suggestion Peter, but have you seen the delivery date on the Rawlnut option?

Rgds Ian

Could walk there and back in that time. Oh wait we`re not allowed out ;)

Stuart.